Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Framing nail gun question

Just when I thought I educated myself on framing nail guns, along comes
something I didn't know about the nails. I realized different guns accept
specific types of collated nails. Now, I'm confused what to get to avoid
having something which will have hard to find nails.

I know for sure I want a round head nailer but do I get the wire collated,
plastic collated or paper tape collated nails? What about the angle of the
nails. Do I get 28 degree, 30 degree, 34 degree, etc? I want to make sure I
have brand varieties with availability at most hardware stores.

Can someone shed some more light on the best option?

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 5:48*pm, "SBH" wrote:
Just when I thought I educated myself on framing nail guns, along comes
something I didn't know about the nails. I realized different guns accept
specific types of collated nails. Now, I'm confused what to get to avoid
having something which will have hard to find nails.

I know for sure I want a round head nailer but do I get the wire collated,
plastic collated or paper tape collated nails? What about the angle of the
nails. Do I get 28 degree, 30 degree, 34 degree, etc? I want to make sure I
have brand varieties with availability at most hardware stores.

Can someone shed some more light on the best option?

Thank you

If you really want a framing gun

get a Hitachi NR83A (or NR90)

83 is more common but 90 shoots larger nails

I've have an NR83A since the late 80's and its worked fine for me.
Done more shear walls & floors than framing with it however.

Shoot full round head nails plastic strip collation.

I've also used Senco full round head framing gun (dont remember the
model number) ...same nails are NR83A

I think the NR83A is a 22 deg? naiiler

check this out

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=649074

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

If you get a gun that takes Hitachi/Senco nails you will have no
problem finding them. I got that from a framer and I took his advice
and got Hitachi guns. I can find nails at HD/Lowes in addition to any
fastener place.

I was actually looking at the Hitachi guns but the one I like required the
"plastic collated nails" and the others were paper tape or wired. Therefore,
I thought, "oh oh, it will be tough to find plastic collated since this
seems to be the only one which accepts plastic."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DD_BobK" wrote in message
On Dec 30, 5:48 pm, "SBH" wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I'll read the reviews.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 9:21*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:48:20 -0500, "SBH" wrote:
[...]

I have a Senco thats 20 years old and still have no problems getting
nails or repair kits.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 30, 7:48*pm, "SBH" wrote:
Just when I thought I educated myself on framing nail guns, along comes
something I didn't know about the nails. I realized different guns accept
specific types of collated nails. Now, I'm confused what to get to avoid
having something which will have hard to find nails.

I know for sure I want a round head nailer but do I get the wire collated,
plastic collated or paper tape collated nails? What about the angle of the
nails. Do I get 28 degree, 30 degree, 34 degree, etc? I want to make sure I
have brand varieties with availability at most hardware stores.

Can someone shed some more light on the best option?

Thank you

Senco tools and nails have been my choice for some years. Their ring
shank nails are the best IMO for sheathing. They also have a lot of
specialty nails for uncommon projects. Best of all, American made and
a superior product backed by great customer service. And fast shipping
to my local lumber yard.

Joe