Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing paint from a cement floor

ransley | 2009-12-29 | 5:59:50 AM wrote:

On Dec 28, 10:18*pm, RickH wrote:
On Dec 28, 6:42*pm, (Bob Emery)
wrote:

Someone mentioned a belt floor sander, I've never heard of one of
these, (only the floor drum sanders or orbital pad sanders).

Personally I'd rent a floor orbital (floor buffer) style sander,
that will remove all the paint that needs to go (IOW the loose
stuff), and they are easy to use. *If you are using mastic for the
tile, you dont need 100% removal of the paint. *If you are using
thinset then you will need to remove it all to get down to the
concrete.

Ok drum sander, a belt goes on the drum. Orbital is slow, a drum
sander with the coarsest grit is fast and will cut the concrete which
everyone is forgetting, the concrete must be etched by acid or
mechanical means for new cement base products to bond.

I've used a hand-held belt sander for this task. It's not as easy as a
stand-up unit, but it works.

Don't sand over the power cord. That's how I wound up buying a NEW belt
sander.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in news:hhd473$fpk$1
@newlifehomeimprovement.motzarella.org:

ransley | 2009-12-29 | 5:59:50 AM wrote:

On Dec 28, 10:18*pm, RickH wrote:
On Dec 28, 6:42*pm, (Bob Emery)
wrote:

[...]

It's poor quality mfg. You'd think they would make cords for such tools
as belt sander, hedge clippers, etc out of shark suit material.