Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mysterious furnace condensate leak

A couple of days ago I noticed a small puddle next to one of my American
Standard Freedom 90 Upflow Condensing Gas Furnaces (Model AUX080C942C3).

I initially assumed that one of the condensate drainage had come loose
or that maybe something was blocked. But the leak has persisted even
after thoroughly dissassembling the tubing, cleaning the trap, securing
the tubing, and even removing and snugging up the draft inducer motor
connections. The chmamber behind the induction motor had some standing
water but there was no blockage of the exits. (Note, the connection of
the inducer motor with the chamber and with the inlet pipe were loose
and showed some condensation but not enough to alone be the source [and
I fixed them both]).

After letting the furnance run for a while and inspecting it again, the
leaking has continued though I can confirm that none of the tubing or
observable connections are leaking. Also the problem is not the
condensate pump since it is on the other side of the furnace.

Somehow there remains a reasonable amount of water leaking out (maybe
1-2 oz/hour). Both the upper and lower cabinets are almost completely
dry except for a little moisture along one of the edges. This seems to
be the only possible channel for the water to the ground though to be
honest the amount of water is very minimal (note there are no other
physical paths that have any moisture)

It seems to me that the only possible source could be inside the burner
chamber (though even so I can't see how it is all getting out).

- Any thoughts on what could be going on here?
- Could there be a leak in the bottom of the burner chamber?
- Should I open up the burner chamber to look further and if so how do I
get access?
- Any ideas on troubleshooting or fixes? (if I can't fix it I will of
course call a pro)

Google though has not bean my "friend" today and has not been helpful
here.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 12:20*am, blueman wrote:
[...]

At www.heatinghelp.com "the wall" are alot of pros, it sounds like
maybe most all condesate is being blocked from draining to the pump.
Are you missing any pets, I had a mouse in my ductwork once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

I had the same issue with my furnace, it was the little rubber tubes in
the furnace itself literally rotting apart. Furnace is maybe 20 years
old. Went to the Orange Colored Store and got some clear vinyl tubing
and some hose clamps. All better.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Make sure your drain tubes leading outside are not frozen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley writes:
At www.heatinghelp.com "the wall" are alot of pros,

Thanks for the reference!
it sounds like
maybe most all condesate is being blocked from draining to the pump.
Are you missing any pets, I had a mouse in my ductwork once.

If it's blocked, then it's internal because the external tubes
themselves and the trap are all clear.

Also, I can blow clear into the main condensate tube and feel the air
blowing out the draft inducer motor. Also, I still get a reasonable flow
out the condensate drain.

So I'm thinking either the blockage is partial and distal leading to
overflow somewhere and leakage. Or maybe there is a hole somewhere
caused by corrosion or other mechanical defect...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel writes:

I had the same issue with my furnace, it was the little rubber tubes
in the furnace itself literally rotting apart. Furnace is maybe 20
years old. Went to the Orange Colored Store and got some clear vinyl
tubing and some hose clamps. All better.

Which tubes are you talking about?

In my situation, the condensate tubes themselves that are in the furnace
cabinet (but outside the burner box) are fine.

I have yet to open the burner box itself...which is probably my next
step...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier writes:
Make sure your drain tubes leading outside are not frozen.

Interesting. The condensate tubes themselves are fine (and inside) and
in fact are still draining a steady flow of condensate.

If you are referring to the intake/exhaust tubes for the high efficiency
burner that is possible I guess but seems unlikely given that the
weather wasn't too cold, the pipes are relatively large & short, and
there is no really good way for water to get in them (they are above the
snowline).