Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mysterious furnace condensate leak

A couple of days ago I noticed a small puddle next to one of my American
Standard Freedom 90 Upflow Condensing Gas Furnaces (Model AUX080C942C3).

I initially assumed that one of the condensate drainage had come loose
or that maybe something was blocked. But the leak has persisted even
after thoroughly dissassembling the tubing, cleaning the trap, securing
the tubing, and even removing and snugging up the draft inducer motor
connections. The chmamber behind the induction motor had some standing
water but there was no blockage of the exits. (Note, the connection of
the inducer motor with the chamber and with the inlet pipe were loose
and showed some condensation but not enough to alone be the source [and
I fixed them both]).

After letting the furnance run for a while and inspecting it again, the
leaking has continued though I can confirm that none of the tubing or
observable connections are leaking. Also the problem is not the
condensate pump since it is on the other side of the furnace.

Somehow there remains a reasonable amount of water leaking out (maybe
1-2 oz/hour). Both the upper and lower cabinets are almost completely
dry except for a little moisture along one of the edges. This seems to
be the only possible channel for the water to the ground though to be
honest the amount of water is very minimal (note there are no other
physical paths that have any moisture)

It seems to me that the only possible source could be inside the burner
chamber (though even so I can't see how it is all getting out).

- Any thoughts on what could be going on here?
- Could there be a leak in the bottom of the burner chamber?
- Should I open up the burner chamber to look further and if so how do I
get access?
- Any ideas on troubleshooting or fixes? (if I can't fix it I will of
course call a pro)

Google though has not bean my "friend" today and has not been helpful
here.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!