Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing tile grout necessary?

Hi,

Do I need to seal unsanded grout around ceramic tiles on a shower
stall wall that gets no direct water spray?

Background:
I must tile over the opening that was made in the existing tile wall
in order to install a new shower valve. I'm quite sure the existing
wall has unsealed grout and there hasn't been any apparent seepage
into the drywall backer board since it was installed 25 years ago. I'm
also able to clean all grout lines between the rest of the existing
tiles from time to time without much effort. Someone I know has warned
me that sealing the tiles may lead to patchy grout discolouration as
some of the sealant wears off in places over time.

It sure would be good to know whether the tiles should be sealed and
if so, why.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Darro

Posted to alt.home.repair

Darro wrote:
Hi,

Do I need to seal unsanded grout around ceramic tiles on a shower
stall wall that gets no direct water spray?

Yes. There is no reason not to...it is easy, cheap and good for mental
health.
______________

Background:
I must tile over the opening that was made in the existing tile wall
in order to install a new shower valve. I'm quite sure the existing
wall has unsealed grout and there hasn't been any apparent seepage
into the drywall backer board since it was installed 25 years ago.

You took off the tile and looked?
________________

I'm also able to clean all grout lines between the rest of the existing
tiles from time to time without much effort. Someone I know has warned
me that sealing the tiles may lead to patchy grout discolouration as
some of the sealant wears off in places over time.

So seal them again. Nothing lasts forever.
_________________

It sure would be good to know whether the tiles should be sealed

The tiles are already sealed, assuming they are glazed. Since they are
afixed to drywall, I would absolutely seal the grout. Silicone sealer is
good.
_______________

and if so, why.

To keep the grout from sucking up moisture - spray isn't necessary,
condensation gets sucked too - wicking it back to the drywall, destroying
the drywall, growing mold, rotting the framing. Like that.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Sealing Tile Grout Dottie Home Repair 10 January 30th 10 06:41 AM
Porcelain tile grout sealing FlaBill[_2_] Home Repair 0 May 31st 08 07:50 PM
Sealing the tile grout -shower area Lisa Ashley Rafter Home Repair 1 June 25th 07 07:06 PM
Sealing Subway Tile Grout [email protected] Home Repair 1 October 21st 06 06:21 PM
Sealing Tile Grout Vince Home Repair 1 April 27th 05 06:11 PM