Posted to alt.home.repair
Darro[_3_] Darro[_3_] is offline

Default Sealing tile grout necessary?

Hi,

Do I need to seal unsanded grout around ceramic tiles on a shower
stall wall that gets no direct water spray?

Background:
I must tile over the opening that was made in the existing tile wall
in order to install a new shower valve. I'm quite sure the existing
wall has unsealed grout and there hasn't been any apparent seepage
into the drywall backer board since it was installed 25 years ago. I'm
also able to clean all grout lines between the rest of the existing
tiles from time to time without much effort. Someone I know has warned
me that sealing the tiles may lead to patchy grout discolouration as
some of the sealant wears off in places over time.

It sure would be good to know whether the tiles should be sealed and
if so, why.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Darro