Posted to alt.home.repair

Default is pex piping close to outside wall a good idea in a cold climate?

Hi.
I live in Minneapolis and just bought a new house.
On the first cold winter night, no water came out of the upstairs
bathroom cold faucet.
The pipe, I discovered, is really close to an outside wall.
I was wondering if replacing the copper pipe with pex pipe would be a
good solution.

thanks a lot,

William
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 3:30�pm, William wrote:
Hi.
I live in Minneapolis and just bought a new house.
On the first cold winter night, no water came out of the upstairs
bathroom cold faucet.
The pipe, I discovered, is really close to an outside wall.
I was wondering if replacing the copper pipe with pex pipe would be a
good solution.

thanks a lot,

William

PEX tolerates freezing better, if you home is brand new never lived in
see the builder to relocate the line to a warmer area.

if its a new to you home, time to insulate between outside and line
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 2:30*pm, William wrote:
Hi.
I live in Minneapolis and just bought a new house.
On the first cold winter night, no water came out of the upstairs
bathroom cold faucet.
The pipe, I discovered, is really close to an outside wall.
I was wondering if replacing the copper pipe with pex pipe would be a
good solution.

thanks a lot,

William

While our cold is no match for yours, I had a similar problem with
this house, the upstairs feed pipes run close to the siding and would
freeze up every time it got cold. We slid the foam insulation up the
pipes from the bottom, & haven't frozen up since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

William wrote the following:
Hi.
I live in Minneapolis and just bought a new house.
On the first cold winter night, no water came out of the upstairs
bathroom cold faucet.
The pipe, I discovered, is really close to an outside wall.
I was wondering if replacing the copper pipe with pex pipe would be a
good solution.

thanks a lot,

William

Is there insulation in the outside wall? If it is the fiberglass bats,
or any other insulation, it should be between the outside wall and the
pipes.That way, it will get the heat from the inside living space rather
than the outside air.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 3:30*pm, William wrote:
Hi.
I live in Minneapolis and just bought a new house.
On the first cold winter night, no water came out of the upstairs
bathroom cold faucet.
The pipe, I discovered, is really close to an outside wall.
I was wondering if replacing the copper pipe with pex pipe would be a
good solution.

thanks a lot,

William

Pex will still freeeze but it is less likely to burst. The solutuion
is proper insulation.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard that Pex can be frozen, and won't split. However,
you didn't ask for other ideas. So, I won't offer them.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William" wrote in message
Hi.
I live in Minneapolis and just bought a new house.
On the first cold winter night, no water came out of the
upstairs
bathroom cold faucet.
The pipe, I discovered, is really close to an outside wall.
I was wondering if replacing the copper pipe with pex pipe
would be a
good solution.

thanks a lot,

William

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shhhh.... he didn't actually ask for a solution.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message

While our cold is no match for yours, I had a similar
problem with
this house, the upstairs feed pipes run close to the siding
and would
freeze up every time it got cold. We slid the foam
insulation up the
pipes from the bottom, & haven't frozen up since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:54:08 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

Pex will still freeeze but it is less likely to burst. The solutuion
is proper insulation.

_What about freeze-break resistance?_

"Vanex PEX will stretch slightly to accommodate the expansion of
frozen water, then return to its original size when the water thaws.
This memory is a feature of cross-linked material, giving it
thermo-elastic behavior. Although freeze-break resistant, no pipe is
freeze-break proof under all circumstances. Insulation of plumbing
pipes as instructed by local codes is still required."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Pex will still freeeze but it is less likely to burst. The solutuion
is proper insulation.

_What about freeze-break resistance?_

"Vanex PEX will stretch slightly to accommodate the expansion of
frozen water, then return to its original size when the water thaws.
This memory is a feature of cross-linked material, giving it
thermo-elastic behavior. Although freeze-break resistant, no pipe is
freeze-break proof under all circumstances. Insulation of plumbing
pipes as instructed by local codes is still required."

Note, do NOT wrap the insulation all around the pipe, instead place
the insulation between the pipe and the cold wall, leaving the pipe
exposed to the warm side.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 2:30*pm, William wrote:
Hi.
I live in Minneapolis and just bought a new house.
On the first cold winter night, no water came out of the upstairs
bathroom cold faucet.
The pipe, I discovered, is really close to an outside wall.
I was wondering if replacing the copper pipe with pex pipe would be a
good solution.

thanks a lot,

William

Is there any way the pipe can be run where it wont freeze, Mine froze
luckily I re routed through a closet. You just dont want it to freeze.
Where I am now no water is within 3 ft of an exterior wall, a smart
design. There is heat tape and foam insulation if you cant re route.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Pex will still freeeze but it is less likely to burst. The solutuion
is proper insulation.

_What about freeze-break resistance?_

"Vanex PEX will stretch slightly to accommodate the expansion of
frozen water, then return to its original size when the water thaws.
This memory is a feature of cross-linked material, giving it
thermo-elastic behavior. Although freeze-break resistant, no pipe is
freeze-break proof under all circumstances. Insulation of plumbing
pipes as instructed by local codes is still required."

Note, do NOT wrap the insulation all around the pipe, instead place
the insulation between the pipe and the cold wall, leaving the *pipe
exposed to the warm side.

Mark

re "leaving the pipe exposed to the warm side."

Can I cover it with drywall? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

William wrote:
Hi.
I live in Minneapolis and just bought a new house.
On the first cold winter night, no water came out of the upstairs
bathroom cold faucet.
The pipe, I discovered, is really close to an outside wall.
I was wondering if replacing the copper pipe with pex pipe would be a
good solution.

thanks a lot,

William

It won't keep it from freezing, but the pex won't break when it does.