Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tom Silva

You may have a differing opinion, but Tom Silva on "Ask This Old House"
is absolutely amazing. He really motivates me to want to learn about
home repairs and such.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:50:54 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

You may have a differing opinion, but Tom Silva on "Ask This Old House"
is absolutely amazing. He really motivates me to want to learn about
home repairs and such.

I'm really happy for you! Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tom Silva vs Holmes on Homes?? Tom Silva

On Dec 16, 9:32*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but really quite in line with Silva is the Holmes
guy. *VERY intelligent, and I like his "didactic tool" of coming in and
fixing other contractor's mistakes. *wrong way, right way, wrong way, right
way.

Holmes isn't fit to carry Silva's hammer. Check out Holmes' early
shows - the guy clearly didn't know what he was talking about, and
they apparently didn't have the budget for someone to edit/coach him.
The show has improved somewhat, but it's still a joke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
RicodJour wrote:
On Dec 16, 9:32 pm, "Existential
wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but really quite in line with Silva is the
Holmes
guy. VERY intelligent, and I like his "didactic tool" of coming in and
fixing other contractor's mistakes. wrong way, right way, wrong way,
right
way.

Holmes isn't fit to carry Silva's hammer. Check out Holmes' early
shows - the guy clearly didn't know what he was talking about, and
they apparently didn't have the budget for someone to edit/coach him.
The show has improved somewhat, but it's still a joke.

Sounds like another Bob Villa.

No, Bob Vila has *formal training* in obnoxiousness, has some missing gene
for social grace.

Otoh, Holmes does at times seem just a little pleased with hisself, seems to
be acquiring Knight in Shining Armor complex.

But still, an informative show, on some level.

All of these shows, however, are produced with a great deal of choreographic
sleight of hand.

About mid-phase of the *original* TOH (remember how long ago that was?),
they figgered they'd liven **** up a little, and did a behind-the-scenes
ditty, which basically, imo, exposed the show as a semi-fraud.
In the sense that, all those camera cuts and apparently seamless
construction belied endless re-takes, just to hang a goddamm piece of
sheetrock or cut a piece of wood -- with about 25 staffers. goodgawd....

Later, upon the genesis of HGTV, some of these makeovers would really leave
you scratching yer head.
I remember one show almost always featured Chico, the lighting magician, who
could, apparently, put recessed/pot lighting in a cloud, if he so desired.

So the wife sez to me, How come YOU cain't run a wire from "here to there"
in the ceiling, like Chico??

Cuz, Dear, that here-to-there wire will cost about $9,500, take about 8
weeks, and require us to move out of the goddamm house....

But, you take from these shows whatever you can.

What really gets me are the bevies of 25 year old newlywed ****heads,
pondering,
Should we take the $500,000 house, or the $600,000 house???? Oh, we
love the house, but we only have $250,000 to re-do the kitchen and
baths.....

Where do they get these people??

I believe that TOH set the stage for the HGTV onslaught/mind****, which was
a part of the real estate explosion and ultimate sodomizing of the
home-buying Public.
The "half-million dollar house" was at one time a ubiquitous/cliche phrase
for Wall Street success. Now, if you can even find a half-million dollar
house near any major urban center, it was probably slapped together by some
effing developer, and thusly built like **** -- ergo, perhaps, Holmes on
Homes.
Many of the homes built in this real estate frenzy won't even be standing in
another 5-10 years.

There was a kind of real estate "perfect storm", of course fueled by this
gigantic credit fraud, but even without this mortgage-backed-Greenspan
fraud, HGTV was in essence making housing, home-buying an onerous
proposition for a lot of people.

In the mid-90's, a working family *could* squeak by, buying a home, but
even then most often not on one salary.
The powers-dat-were (and still are) stopped dat **** in a hurry.
Home buying is essentially a pracitcal impossibility now, even after the
bubble burst, for many people for whom it WAS possible in 1995.
Timing is a bitch.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
RicodJour wrote:
On Dec 16, 9:32 pm, "Existential
wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but really quite in line with Silva is
the Holmes
guy. VERY intelligent, and I like his "didactic tool" of coming in
and fixing other contractor's mistakes. wrong way, right way,
wrong way, right
way.

Holmes isn't fit to carry Silva's hammer. Check out Holmes' early
shows - the guy clearly didn't know what he was talking about, and
they apparently didn't have the budget for someone to edit/coach
him. The show has improved somewhat, but it's still a joke.

Sounds like another Bob Villa.

No, Bob Vila has *formal training* in obnoxiousness, has some missing
gene for social grace.

WELL SAID!!

[...]

They're on the food stamp program in CA. It's a generous program.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but really quite in line with Silva is the
Holmes
guy. VERY intelligent, and I like his "didactic tool" of coming in and
fixing other contractor's mistakes. wrong way, right way, wrong way, right
way.

Holmes isn't fit to carry Silva's hammer. Check out Holmes' early
shows - the guy clearly didn't know what he was talking about, and
they apparently didn't have the budget for someone to edit/coach him.
The show has improved somewhat, but it's still a joke.

Ditto...The guy (Holmes) is an assclown...He struts around like he knows it
all picking **** apart then ****s up the drywall advice....And what's with
the sleeveless coveralls ??? Trying out for The Village people ???
LOL....All those shows do is push high end stuff no normal person could
afford or even want...Infomercials for the manufacturers....I'ld rather
watch paint dry....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

[...]

I'm curious as to how the mfrs benefit. I am rarely able to see a clear
label, or detect much name dropping, or much endorsement.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 18, 3:27*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"benick" wrote in message

. ..

wrote:

[...]

I've seen enough of his shows to know that PL Premium is his
construction adhesive of choice. Beyond that, like you, I don't
recall any specific name dropping.

nate