Posted to alt.home.repair

Default why pilot lights in WH?

Why is it that gas water heaters still have pilot lights, but ovens
and furnaces do not?
--H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 9:30*pm, Heathcliff wrote:
Why is it that gas water heaters still have pilot lights, but ovens
and furnaces do not?
--H

The only thing I can think of is: ovens and furnaces have electric
hook ups anyhow, so it would be another hook up + another standard to
comply to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
Why is it that gas water heaters still have pilot lights, but ovens
and furnaces do not?
--H

my water heater has no pilot light. Yes, it's a natural gas unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 10:30*pm, Heathcliff
wrote:
Why is it that gas water heaters still have pilot lights, but ovens
and furnaces do not?
--H

This question comes up from time to time. Usual consensus is as
follows: On a range or furnace, the pilot would be dumping its heat
into the house when you might not want it to, wastefully. But the heat
from the WH pilot goes into the water, which you want to be hot
anyhow, and so just lets the main burner run a little less.

Chip C
Toronto
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 9:42*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:
Why is it that gas water heaters still have pilot lights, but ovens
and furnaces do not?
--H

my water heater has no pilot light. *Yes, it's a natural gas unit.

How does it light up, does it have an electrical connection?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2009 9:30 PM, Heathcliff wrote:
Why is it that gas water heaters still have pilot lights, but ovens
and furnaces do not?
--H

Why wouldn't you have a pilot light? It helps keep the water hot. And
it allows the WH to work when the electricity goes out.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
Why is it that gas water heaters still have pilot lights, but ovens
and furnaces do not?
--H

Hmmm,
Our water heater does not have pilot. It has Piezo ignition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 9:27*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:
Why is it that gas water heaters still have pilot lights, but ovens
and furnaces do not?
--H

Hmmm,
Our water heater does not have pilot. It has Piezo ignition.

Our water heater does not have pilot. It has Piezo ignition.

How is the piezo ignition activated? Piezoelectric crystals need to
be compressed in order to generate a spark.

The W/H's I've seen with piezo buttons........the piezo buttons are
for lighting the gas pilot.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

WH designed by Fred Grimble, of Penston, MO. The stoves and
ovens were desigend by Sam Turkle, of Salbach, GA. They had
different ideas how to accomplish the same thing. And some
usenet posters make up answers without any factual basis.

More seriously, I'd guess because WH typically don't have
electric hook up. They might, in the future. As new houses
are constructed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Heathcliff" wrote in
message
Why is it that gas water heaters still have pilot lights,
but ovens
and furnaces do not?
--H

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
Why is it that gas water heaters still have pilot lights, but ovens
and furnaces do not?
--H

I dunno, but I'm thankful for them every time the power goes out and I
still have hot water to take a shower. Doubly so since it's darn near
impossible for me to shave without a steaming hot shower first to soften
everything up.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 9:43*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
WH designed by Fred Grimble, of Penston, MO. The stoves and
ovens were desigend by Sam Turkle, of Salbach, GA. They had
different ideas how to accomplish the same thing. And some
usenet posters make up answers without any factual basis.

More seriously, I'd guess because WH typically don't have
electric hook up. They might, in the future. As new houses
are constructed.

--

Most new houses here in NJ that I've seen use direct vented, high
efficiency water heaters that do not have pilots. Also, judging from