Posted to alt.home.repair

Default To Drain or Not to Drain

Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall, or do you add
stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter months?

What about snowblowers? I always add stablizer to the gas/oil mix in
the spring, and leave it in the unit all summer long.

Of course, I always run the equipment for about five minutes after
adding stablizer.

Thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall, or do you
add stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter months?

What about snowblowers? I always add stablizer to the gas/oil mix in
the spring, and leave it in the unit all summer long.

Of course, I always run the equipment for about five minutes after
adding stablizer.

I drain, and run them completely dry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall, or do you add
stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter months?

What about snowblowers? I always add stablizer to the gas/oil mix in
the spring, and leave it in the unit all summer long.

Of course, I always run the equipment for about five minutes after
adding stablizer.

Thanks.

Kate

Drain is always best. One year I drained my snowblower and it ran OK
the next but I left stabilized gas in it and it would not start and I
needed the carburetor cleaned. Might have been alcohol in gas that
caused problem as manual says not to use gas with alcohol or depending
on the carburetor there could be evaporation which leaves a clogging
residue. I keep stabilized gas in my generator but start it every few
months. If you leave gas in anything it is a good idea to start
occasionally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall, or do you add
stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter months?

What about snowblowers? I always add stablizer to the gas/oil mix in the
spring, and leave it in the unit all summer long.

Of course, I always run the equipment for about five minutes after adding
stablizer.

Thanks.

Kate

I leave mine in, but then empty it out at first use, and add fresh gas.
Don't know how good this is, but I figure it is better to have something in
there than completely empty. Smell like varnish when I dump it, so I
usually use it on gopher holes that appear in spring.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall, or do you add
stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter months?

What about snowblowers? I always add stablizer to the gas/oil mix in
the spring, and leave it in the unit all summer long.

Of course, I always run the equipment for about five minutes after
adding stablizer.

Thanks.

Kate

I don't do anything special to the mover, tiller, nor any other fair
weather gas powered tools and have never had a problem. My gawd, here in
SE Iowa they only set unused from mid November to early April (four to
five months). Actually, I have let some set for as long as three years
and they still started and ran fine. Of course if you want to spend the
time and money put some stabilizer in the gas and let it run for a
couple of minutes before putting it to bed.

ymmv

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall, or do you add
stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter months?

What about snowblowers? I always add stablizer to the gas/oil mix in
the spring, and leave it in the unit all summer long.

Of course, I always run the equipment for about five minutes after
adding stablizer.

Thanks.

Kate

if it's for less than a year, just fill the tank and forget it.

steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 6:00*pm, Kate wrote:
Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall, or do you add
stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter months?

What about snowblowers? *I always add stablizer to the gas/oil mix in
the spring, and leave it in the unit all summer long.

Of course, I always run the equipment for about five minutes after
adding stablizer.

Thanks.

Kate

I have a 1986 Lawnboy, never had a carb issue and I just put it away
recently, I run it dry, I have a few pieces I run dry and all are
fine, once I left gas in a sthil trimmer and it needed a carb clean 6
moths later. I guess stabil works but im scared to test it, Stabil
costs money, running it dry is free, a carb rebuild is alot of money
and driving around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

IGot2P wrote:

I don't do anything special to the mover, tiller, nor any other fair
weather gas powered tools and have never had a problem.

My experience as well. The only item I run dry is the backup generator.
First use of lawn mower in the spring might take 2 or 3 pulls instead of the
usual 1, but otherwise I've never seen an issue with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall, or do you add
stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter months?

What about snowblowers? I always add stablizer to the gas/oil mix in the
spring, and leave it in the unit all summer long.

Of course, I always run the equipment for about five minutes after adding
stablizer.

Thanks.

Kate

I add stabilizer most of the time, but I've also forgotten and had no
problems leaving gas for the opposing season, both summer and winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

IGot2P wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Me neither. But I use winter gas in winter. Summer gas iin summer. Same
with Propane gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"IGot2P" wrote in message
Kate wrote:
[...]

Ditto...None of my stuff sits more than a 6 months....Some talk like winter
lasts for years....LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

IGot2P wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

I do nothing as well on a mower, tractor and small garden tools. BYW
had a great Honda mower for 25 years ... never did anything for the
winter ... and it started everytime on a single pull. Finally junked it
due to the al deck rotting out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here comes a lengthy conversation, with all kinds of proofs.
I'm waiting for someone to quote Aristotle and that will be
the clincher.

I usually run equipment dry, but havn't done a double blind
study or anything.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kate" wrote in message
Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall,
or do you add
stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter
months?

What about snowblowers? I always add stablizer to the
gas/oil mix in
the spring, and leave it in the unit all summer long.

Of course, I always run the equipment for about five minutes
after
adding stablizer.

Thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

An issue no one has addressed yet is what environment the equipment is
stored in. Gas sitting in a relatively cool place is going to
degrade a lot slower than gas that's in a mower in a shed that's 100F.

I put stabilizer in the last gas can I get filled near the end of the
mowing season. I also put it in my Harley and my boat when I owned
it. The snowblower I run dry, because it will sit unused a lot
longer and over the hottest months. Also, reading the manual never
hurt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:00:22 -0800, Kate wrote:

Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall, or do you add
stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter months?

I try to run tanks pretty empty, just in case* (so I don't waste a full
tank), but I never add anything, run the thing completely dry etc. and I
haven't ever had a problem.

* more worried about things like lines splitting etc.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 4:00*pm, Kate wrote:
Do you drain the old gas out of your lawnmower every fall, or do you add
stabliizer to it, and leave it in the unit over the winter months?

What about snowblowers? *I always add stablizer to the gas/oil mix in
the spring, and leave it in the unit all summer long.

Of course, I always run the equipment for about five minutes after
adding stablizer.

Thanks.

Kate

I do absolutely nothing to the fuel system and have never had any
problems. My owner's manual is silent on the matter, so I doubt it's
of great importance.