Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 175 sq ft home

"h" wrote in message

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Dec 10, 3:12 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
"[NEW YORK] Zaarath and Christopher Prokop -- and their two cats -- live
in
the smallest apartment in the city, a 175-square-foot "microstudio" in
Morningside Heights the couple bought three months ago for $150,000
[$857/sq
ft]."

With pic and detailed floor plan
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m..._couple_makes_...

Wow. The amount of money they **** away on restaurants must be epic. They
could probably afford a "real" apt. if they actually cooked their food
instead of eating all meals out. Their "maintenance fee" is more than my
mortgage payment AND my taxes, yet their entire apartment would fit in my
living room. And my house is only 1800 sq ft. I think keeping two cats in
a space that small amounts to animal cruelty. Those people are nuts.

NYC is the real-estate equivalent of the forces at work in financial
institution melt-down -- de-regulation-gone-wild.

Guiliani started the gutting of rent-control laws, Bloomberg finished it,
toward the end of making Manhattan the epi-center for the New Playground for
the Rich, under the disguise of de-regulated free-market bull****.

So here you have it: $150 K for 175 sq ft -- plus maintenance, taxes.

Now, this is on 110th St -- where, a little further over, between Amst and
Columbus, with a view of the gardens of St John the Divine, I had an 8 room
apt, 1 1/2 baths, doorman elevator bldg (albeit drunk doormen with criminal
sheets) for $300/mo, in the '80s. With (for you shopsters) 3 ph electricity
up to the apt!

Imagine what their li'l ******** would go for in DeNiro's Tribeca -- triple
that.

It is surreal.

Manhattan, at one time, was a mecca of diy possibilities, alternatives.
Yeah, at one time, there was a lot of real estate abandonment, decay, but
keep in mind what the underlying social policy was: Poor people do not
deserve any QOL, and thus a lot of decay accrued.

Guiliani/Bloomberg did not lower crime through leadership/insightful social
policy.
They just shipped all the poor people off to NJ and Yonkers -- so the rich
could come and play.

Those assholes on 110th St are lucky their bathroom is not in the hallway.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 06:34:32 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

-snip-

Didn't The City of New York try some of those hi-tech automated
restrooms at one time? Two legged critters took up residence in
them and turned the program into an expensive boondoggle, that
experience could give you an idea of the cost of upkeep of a tiny
abode in Manhattan. *snicker*

Actually that was Seattle that gave up on theirs. NYC is still in the
process of putting in 20. [and they're just 25cents a dump].

This is an August 2009 article-
http://wcbstv.com/local/public.autom...2.1154659.html

Looking for a more current link, I'm scanning the page for 'related'-
and see "Related slideshows"- with links to celebrity pics including
Scarlet Johansson, Jessica Simpson, Megan Fox, Jessica Beil & Emma
Watson. and lastly- "the NBA's most tattooed player." g

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote in
:

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:12:19 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"[NEW YORK] Zaarath and Christopher Prokop -- and their two cats --
live in the smallest apartment in the city, a 175-square-foot
"microstudio" in Morningside Heights the couple bought three months
ago for $150,000 [$857/sq ft]."

With pic and detailed floor plan
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...couple_makes_t
ight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP#ixzz0ZJoUHSNa

I could live there alone with maybe an aquarium, but the cats have to
go. But for that moany you can almost buy a mansion here in
Tennessee.

I think I saw a whole trailer parks here for around that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in
:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...y_couple_makes
_tight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP#ixzz0ZJoUHSNa

I could live there alone with maybe an aquarium, but the cats have
to go. But for that moany you can almost buy a mansion here in
Tennessee.

Agreed. But IMHO, anybody who voluntarily lives in Manhattan is
insane by definition. (Of course, maybe they have never been off the
island and simply don't know any better. They did a survey once, and
a surprising percentage of 20-somethings had never been elsewhere. It
just never came up, and since they live at the center of the known
universe, they had no reason to be curious.)

reading the article, they started in the south, moved to jersey, moved
to a new apt in ny, then here. downsizing every time. pretty soon
they'll be in a cardboard box.

Personal Christmas Card
http://i48.tinypic.com/2emn71t.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz0ZJoUHSNa

I could live there alone with maybe an aquarium, but the cats have to
go. But for that moany you can almost buy a mansion here in
Tennessee.

Hell yes! $150,000 down and $700/month forever (+ increase for
inflation) I think out in western TN you can still find 150 acres for
$150,000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:55:23 -0500, Tony wrote:
I could live there alone with maybe an aquarium, but the cats have to
go. But for that moany you can almost buy a mansion here in
Tennessee.

Hell yes! $150,000 down and $700/month forever (+ increase for
inflation) I think out in western TN you can still find 150 acres for
$150,000.

I saw 120 acres for $89k up here yesterday, with a 3-bedroom place on it
(but I suspect it was a place that'd need to be torn down :-) I think
half of it was woodland, half farmland.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:55:23 -0500, Tony wrote:
I could live there alone with maybe an aquarium, but the cats have to
go. But for that moany you can almost buy a mansion here in
Tennessee.

Hell yes! $150,000 down and $700/month forever (+ increase for
inflation) I think out in western TN you can still find 150 acres for
$150,000.

I saw 120 acres for $89k up here yesterday, with a 3-bedroom place on it
(but I suspect it was a place that'd need to be torn down :-) I think
half of it was woodland, half farmland.

Half woodland sounds interesting, where is it located?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:16:13 -0600, Jules
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:55:23 -0500, Tony wrote:
I could live there alone with maybe an aquarium, but the cats have to
go. But for that moany you can almost buy a mansion here in
Tennessee.

Hell yes! $150,000 down and $700/month forever (+ increase for
inflation) I think out in western TN you can still find 150 acres for
$150,000.

I saw 120 acres for $89k up here yesterday, with a 3-bedroom place on it
(but I suspect it was a place that'd need to be torn down :-) I think
half of it was woodland, half farmland.

Just to play a little devil's advocate here--- could the folks who
want to live in Manhattan still walk to work, where they are paid top
dollar in their fields, and after work stop into an endless supply &
variety of eateries. . . then catch a Broadway show before walking
back home. Remember these folks neither drive, or cook.

I can only take 2-3 days in a row in any city- but I understand the
draw for some folks. Those that would pay anything to live in
Manhattan would not be happy in the boonies at any price. [unless it
is just to spend their 2-3 days & return home]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:52:21 -0500, Tony wrote:

Jules wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:55:23 -0500, Tony wrote:
I could live there alone with maybe an aquarium, but the cats have to
go. But for that moany you can almost buy a mansion here in
Tennessee.
Hell yes! $150,000 down and $700/month forever (+ increase for
inflation) I think out in western TN you can still find 150 acres for
$150,000.

I saw 120 acres for $89k up here yesterday, with a 3-bedroom place on it
(but I suspect it was a place that'd need to be torn down :-) I think
half of it was woodland, half farmland.

Half woodland sounds interesting, where is it located?

Hmm, Bagley area (MN) from memory - paper it's in went in the recycling
heap earlier unfortunately. It's all trees and lakes and fields up this
way :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 3:12 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

What have you got against the free market?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:55:23 -0500, Tony wrote:
I could live there alone with maybe an aquarium, but the cats have to
go. But for that moany you can almost buy a mansion here in
Tennessee.
Hell yes! $150,000 down and $700/month forever (+ increase for
inflation) I think out in western TN you can still find 150 acres for
$150,000.
I saw 120 acres for $89k up here yesterday, with a 3-bedroom place on it
(but I suspect it was a place that'd need to be torn down :-) I think
half of it was woodland, half farmland.

Half woodland sounds interesting, where is it located?

Hmm, Bagley area (MN) from memory - paper it's in went in the recycling
heap earlier unfortunately. It's all trees and lakes and fields up this
way :-)

I'd love the trees and lakes and fields but not the cold winter!

Posted to alt.home.repair

news

On Dec 10, 3:12 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Free markets aren't free, unto themselves. Their natural equilibrium is to
become predatory, esp. when the market is necessities, like food and
shelter. And, nowadays, credit.
Dats what gummint used to be there for, to keep the free market from
becoming a predatory market.
Past tense.

Because so many people don't grok this simple concept, for whatever reasons,
they and 90% of the public will be living in work barracks with bunkbeds,
stacked 4 high -- proly by 2040.
You will be shuttled to work in old yellow school buses, and if you want sex
with the wife, well, you'll just have to be real quiet/discreet in one of
your bunks.

Still worshipping (and fighting over) yer fav sports team/celeb, of course.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

wrote in message

wrote in message
On Dec 10, 3:12 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hey wait, we will be still able to vote on American idol right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
On 12/12/2009 23:51, Existential Angst wrote:
news
wrote:

wrote in message

wrote in message
On Dec 10, 3:12 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hey, just cuz you'll be sleeping in barracks in bunk beds, being shuttled to
work in old yellow un-airconditioned school buses dudn't mean you won't be
outfitted with the best electronic technology.
True, you'll have to swipe a pass card just to take a ****, but your pillow
will be outfitted with "goosefeather LCD" TV, for, well, American Idol et
al, with a voting keypad you can operate with your nose. Otherwise known as
Orwell TV.

So life will still have meaning.

Hey, in that article, didja catch how those two
put-me-in-a-cage-and-we'll-be-happy assholes were the ones who made the
building an offer it couldn't refuse??
Goodgawd, they coulda had that place at proly 1/2 the price (and still
overpriced), had they not jumped the gun -- proly their heads were still
buzzing from the air in NJ, wadn't thinking properly..... Or, they were
just, well, assholes....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote:

Those assholes on 110th St are lucky their bathroom is not in the
hallway.

What have you got against the free market?

The housing market in NYC isn't a free market at all. Very much of it is
"rent stabilized." There are people with 2000' apartments that pay way less
than what these folks are paying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

These people remind me of a couple in CA who had a mudslide destroy their
home years ago. The guy looked dejected, but the woman had this manic smile
on her face while she shoveled broken glass and 3 feet of mud out of her
living room. She turned to the camera and said, "Well, I'd MUCH rather be
shoveling broken glass than snow!"
Umm, okaaaay, she'd rather shovel glass and mud out of her HOUSE than shovel
snow on the SIDEWALK? Really? I got the same vibe from the 175sq ft hamster
cage couple. Weird, creepy, and out of touch with normal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Those assholes on 110th St are lucky their bathroom is not in the
hallway.

What have you got against the free market?

The housing market in NYC isn't a free market at all. Very much of it is
"rent stabilized." There are people with 2000' apartments that pay way
less than what these folks are paying.

Except that Ghouliani and Gloomberg gutted rent control/stabilization, so
that "rent stabilized" 1 BR apts in any livable part of Manhattan -- or the
"Manhattan side" of most boroughs and NJ -- are now $4,000-5,000 per month
rent -- $2,000 is a bargain.

The "new typical" rent in NYC is more than most people earn in a year -- or
four years.

Yeah, some people were grandfathered in to good deals -- but they are fewer
and fewer, and the landlords investigate them regularly for ANY kind of
irregularity, to commence eviction proceedings.

Subway fare in NYC is cabfare anywhere else.

Yeah, life is great -- if you can afford it.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

"HeyBub" wrote in message

These people remind me of a couple in CA who had a mudslide destroy their
home years ago. The guy looked dejected, but the woman had this manic
smile on her face while she shoveled broken glass and 3 feet of mud out of
her living room. She turned to the camera and said, "Well, I'd MUCH rather
be shoveling broken glass than snow!"
Umm, okaaaay, she'd rather shovel glass and mud out of her HOUSE than
shovel snow on the SIDEWALK? Really? I got the same vibe from the 175sq ft
hamster cage couple. Weird, creepy, and out of touch with normal.

There's a great quote around:
The problem with people is that they will get used to anything.

I might add, Or rationalize anything.

And, it's not so much that these two hamsters opt for a certain kind of
wheel-spinning lifestyle. What gets me more is that they willingly allow
some real estate predator to gouge them for the privilege of living in a rat
cage. Along with lost general sensibilities, we seem to have lost any sense
of justice or of "what is correct".

The whole country rationalizes economic rape. It's just recently, when the
rape occurs with a fishhook, that we start to complain.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:16:32 -0500, Tony wrote:
Half woodland sounds interesting, where is it located?

Hmm, Bagley area (MN) from memory - paper it's in went in the recycling
heap earlier unfortunately. It's all trees and lakes and fields up this
way :-)

I'd love the trees and lakes and fields but not the cold winter!

Hey, it's -11 out at the moment - that's just a nice cool breeze

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 12:52 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I can only take 2-3 days in a row in any city- but I understand the
draw for some folks. Those that would pay anything to live in
Manhattan would not be happy in the boonies at any price. [unless it
is just to spend their 2-3 days & return home]

Jim

Andy comments:

Well stated !!! I live in a rural, wilderness area in Texas on a
big
lake, and we have people who occasionally move into the area
from towns like Dallas or Houston ( not manhattan by a long shot)
and the first thing they want to do is have all the deer shot,
cut down all the trees, and put in golf courses....... They usually
aren't happy here when they find they are up against a county
government full of "good ole boys" who like things just like they
are. To me, it's a retirement paradise --- to them, well, they
should live in a condominium somewhere within a couple miles
of decent shopping.....

I suggest that anyone thinking about such a change go to
the area and rent a house for a year first. They may save
themselves a lot of time and money.

It takes a LOT of money to be able to be comfortable
in a "dirt poor" lifestyle .... :))))

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
I suggest that anyone thinking about such a change go to
the area and rent a house for a year first. They may save
themselves a lot of time and money.

That's definitely true. When my parents retired they moved from NY to NC and
they rented a house for the first year, just to make sure they liked it
there. They picked a development which was still being expanded and once the
year was up they liked it so much they built a house on one of the last (and
most remote) lots.