Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Receptacles lying flat on surface?

I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed
something that I'm wondering about.

The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a
wooden ledge at the bottom, about 4" high and 8" wide.

Installed in this ledge is a duplex outlet, lying flat on the top
surface, facing up towards the ceiling. In other words, in such a
position that items could be dropped/poured into the receptacle.

Is that allowed by code?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:11:03 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed
something that I'm wondering about.

The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a
wooden ledge at the bottom, about 4" high and 8" wide.

Installed in this ledge is a duplex outlet, lying flat on the top
surface, facing up towards the ceiling. In other words, in such a
position that items could be dropped/poured into the receptacle.

Is that allowed by code?

I see floor outlets here.

Sample:

http://www.ttbservices.com/images/Img11.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 3:11*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed
something that I'm wondering about.

The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a
wooden ledge at the bottom, about 4" high and 8" wide.

Installed in this ledge is a duplex outlet, lying flat on the top
surface, facing up towards the ceiling. In other words, in such a
position that items could be dropped/poured into the receptacle.

Is that allowed by code?

The ledge changes things, so I am not 100% on this, but floor outlets
are allowed and they just need covers. http://www.aplussupply.com/lew-floor...loor-boxes.htm
I could see that an upward facing standard duplex receptacle would be
shot down by an inspector, and generally a bad idea.

Ask the dentist if he had the place renovated and if it was inspected
- if so, it's code...or the building inspector's idea of code, which
is not necessarily the same thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed
something that I'm wondering about.

The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a
wooden ledge at the bottom, about 4" high and 8" wide.

Installed in this ledge is a duplex outlet, lying flat on the top
surface, facing up towards the ceiling. In other words, in such a
position that items could be dropped/poured into the receptacle.

Is that allowed by code?

Sure. Also outlets in the ceiling. Even outlets with the ground plug on the
bottom!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed
something that I'm wondering about.

The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a
wooden ledge at the bottom, about 4" high and 8" wide.

Installed in this ledge is a duplex outlet, lying flat on the top
surface, facing up towards the ceiling. In other words, in such a
position that items could be dropped/poured into the receptacle.

Is that allowed by code?

It's Ok, except in a counter top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 4:03*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed
something that I'm wondering about.

The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a
wooden ledge at the bottom, about 4" high and 8" wide.

Installed in this ledge is a duplex outlet, lying flat on the top
surface, facing up towards the ceiling. In other words, in such a
position that items could be dropped/poured into the receptacle.

Is that allowed by code?

It's Ok, except in a counter top.

When does a wide window sill become a counter top? 8" is pretty wide,
people would put plants on it and water them, anything on the ledge
could fall in, if the window were open a bit rain could hit it.
Whether it's code or not, I think it's a sketchy thing to do with an
uncovered receptacle.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

In addition to that .....ask the dentist "After" he's finished drilling
your teeth...no before...LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Dec 8, 4:03 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed
something that I'm wondering about.

The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a
wooden ledge at the bottom, about 4" high and 8" wide.

Installed in this ledge is a duplex outlet, lying flat on the top
surface, facing up towards the ceiling. In other words, in such a
position that items could be dropped/poured into the receptacle.

Is that allowed by code?

It's Ok, except in a counter top.

When does a wide window sill become a counter top? 8" is pretty wide,
people would put plants on it and water them, anything on the ledge
could fall in, if the window were open a bit rain could hit it.
Whether it's code or not, I think it's a sketchy thing to do with an
uncovered receptacle.

Nec 406.4E, states that they can't be face up in "countertops and similar
work surfaces in dwelling units". It doesn't mention Dentists offices, even
in countertops. IMO, any floor receptacle is vulnerable to spills, so I
would use good judgment in placing them

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed
something that I'm wondering about.

The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a
wooden ledge at the bottom, about 4" high and 8" wide.

Installed in this ledge is a duplex outlet, lying flat on the top
surface, facing up towards the ceiling. In other words, in such a
position that items could be dropped/poured into the receptacle.

Is that allowed by code?

Hi,
Why not in our church, there are quite a few here and there.
In some offices I see them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My last house had a receptacle on the floor of the living room. It was
close to a corner, so I'm guessing it had to do with a former large
console TV set.

I had the carpeting replaced when I was selling the house. I wasn't
home, and when I went to inspect the job, I discovered that the carpet
layers had covered right over the receptacle! I called the company and
told them I thought that might be an unpleasant surprise if the next
owner decided to shampoo that area of the carpet! So they did come and
fix it.

I never thought about if it was code or not, and it passed 2 different
home inspections, for whatever that was worth.

Tony Hwang wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed
something that I'm wondering about.

The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a
wooden ledge at the bottom, about 4" high and 8" wide.

Installed in this ledge is a duplex outlet, lying flat on the top
surface, facing up towards the ceiling. In other words, in such a
position that items could be dropped/poured into the receptacle.

Is that allowed by code?

Hi,
Why not in our church, there are quite a few here and there.
In some offices I see them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed
something that I'm wondering about.

The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a
wooden ledge at the bottom, about 4" high and 8" wide.

Installed in this ledge is a duplex outlet, lying flat on the top
surface, facing up towards the ceiling. In other words, in such a
position that items could be dropped/poured into the receptacle.

Is that allowed by code?

Hi,
Why not in our church, there are quite a few here and there.
In some offices I see them.

IIRC, not allowed in wet areas, but was allowed when needed in large
open areas in other rooms. Sometimes placed in expected couch position
in large living rooms, if there is a walkway behind the spot. Much more
common in commercial space, and sometimes covered with removable
screw-in plugs. Haven't seen any in new work in many years.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee B wrote:

My last house had a receptacle on the floor of the living room. It was
close to a corner, so I'm guessing it had to do with a former large
console TV set.

I had the carpeting replaced when I was selling the house. I wasn't
home, and when I went to inspect the job, I discovered that the carpet
layers had covered right over the receptacle! I called the company and
told them I thought that might be an unpleasant surprise if the next
owner decided to shampoo that area of the carpet! So they did come and
fix it.

I never thought about if it was code or not, and it passed 2 different
home inspections, for whatever that was worth.

A floor outlet is a different case. Requires a $pecial box and cover.
The cover has closures for when the receptacle is not in use and you can
walk on it.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee B wrote:

[...]

How to mill a flat surface Ignoramus9931 Metalworking 29 June 1st 08 05:17 PM
How to mill a flat surface Jim Wilkins Metalworking 1 May 29th 08 08:55 PM
surface mount receptacles mm Home Repair 7 December 28th 06 09:02 PM
slates not lying flat scunner UK diy 5 August 5th 06 08:22 PM
making a flat surface Emiliano Molina Woodworking 5 April 8th 04 09:45 PM