Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building TV Wall Mount

I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). So, I'm
looking to build a custom wall mount. I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Thanks,
John
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). So, I'm
looking to build a custom wall mount. I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Thanks,
John

Yes, don't waste your time and money. You really want to get a proper VESA
standard mount, with the whole variety of hardware, screws, etc., which vary
from TV to TV. Try monoprice.com . They also have wall boxes for the cables
to go through into and out of the drywall. They have a pile of low cost HDMI
cables as well but they tend to be very stiff, and could be problematic
trying to attach to a close to wall bracket

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 12:03:30 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"John" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). So, I'm

Cables are very expensive at the store. That's why I make mine
myself.

looking to build a custom wall mount. I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Thanks,
John

Yes, don't waste your time and money. You really want to get a proper VESA

The advantage of building one's own tv mount is that the tv is one of
the most expensive appliances most people own, and he can learn a lot
about construction when he sees why the tv has fallen off the wall.

Other do-it-yourself projects don't have that advantage.

standard mount, with the whole variety of hardware, screws, etc., which vary
from TV to TV. Try monoprice.com . They also have wall boxes for the cables
to go through into and out of the drywall. They have a pile of low cost HDMI
cables as well but they tend to be very stiff, and could be problematic
trying to attach to a close to wall bracket

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). So, I'm
looking to build a custom wall mount. I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Thanks,
John

Hi,
Unless you want to do it for the sake of fun and have time for it,
buy one off eBay and done with it. Our 60" Plasma panel is sitting
on a custom stand with all the accompanying stuffs stored underneath
on divided .shelves
(A/V amp, HD cable top box, Blue ray player, Karaoke, VCR/DVD-R)
We like to watch TV at eye level or little lower. I don't like to
look up the screen(bad for the eyes)
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"John" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). So, I'm
looking to build a custom wall mount. I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Thanks,
John

Yes, don't waste your time and money. You really want to get a proper VESA
standard mount, with the whole variety of hardware, screws, etc., which vary
from TV to TV. Try monoprice.com . They also have wall boxes for the cables
to go through into and out of the drywall. They have a pile of low cost HDMI
cables as well but they tend to be very stiff, and could be problematic
trying to attach to a close to wall bracket

I agree- some things are not worth inventing yourself. A fixed
cleat-style mount to hang it like a picture would be easy, but if you
want any tilts and swivels, by the time you invent all the parts, you
may as well order it online. I've only got so many years left, etc, and
the list of chores I have to do keeps getting longer without inventing
new ones.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 11:21*am, John wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). *So, I'm
looking to build a custom wall mount. *I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Thanks,
John

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10828
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

I never did understand why people actually liked to sit in the front row of
the theater.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). So, I'm
looking to build a custom wall mount. I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Thanks,
John

The mounting holes on the back are fairly standard.

Here I hope to inspire you:
http://househomerepair.com/Home_Orga...art-1-of-2.php

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:

[...]

I don't know about live theater, but in movie theaters in England a long
time ago the cheapest seats were in the front and the very back. I think
the most expensive were in the front few rows of the balcony.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 08:21:31 -0800 (PST), John
wrote:

I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). So, I'm
looking to build a custom wall mount. I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Thanks,
John

I built a corner mount for a 50" plasma screen. I used pine 2x4s and
two gate strap hinges so the screen can tilt easily. Also the screen
height can be adjusted up or down about 2 feet. Used lag bolts into
the wall studs (6 locations) and I did a few chin-ups to make sure it
was sturdy. I found (metric) machine screws from an auto store that
fit the threaded holes in the back of the screen. Cost: about $25
(2x4s, hinges, chain, lag bolts, washers). I over-engineered the
mount which is mostly unseen, but kept the cost low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:43:37 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 6, 11:21*am, John wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). *So, I'm
looking to build a custom wall mount. *I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Thanks,
John

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10828

Wow! When I needed a good strong mount they were over $300, but that
was about 4 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , John wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). So, I'm
looking to build a custom wall mount. I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Don't bother. You can get an excellent bracket for much less
dollars than you can make one.

And solve the HDMI problem too.

Just get thee to monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

The prices, quality, and service are all seriously top-notch.
They've always had what I needed, for a great price, and
very fast delivery too.

You'll have everything you need for less than you'd pay for
the basic materials at any retail outlet.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 08:21:31 -0800 (PST), John wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). So, I'm
looking to build a custom wall mount. I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Why custom? Who's going to look at it? Get the cheapest commecial
mount that has the features you need. Most people do just fine with a
$60 wall mount which is little more than two brackets: one for the
TV, one for the Wall that hook together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

The only time I wish I had the TV higher, close to the ceiling, is when
I have a TV in the bedroom. And no, it's not for porn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Phisherman wrote:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10828

Wow! When I needed a good strong mount they were over $300, but that
was about 4 years ago.

Yup. I got this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.
asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082807&p_id=3610&s eq=1&format=2

Very simple; no tilt and swivel, but very thin. Under $20.

It was complete with all the necessary hardware. Marked up
the wall, drilled some pilot holes into the studs and
fastened it with the supplied lag screws. Hang the TV on
the mount and done!

I live in earthquake territory and if the house is still
standing after the Big One, the TV will still be in place.
It ain't movin'!

Someone mentioned that the Monoprice HDMI cables are stiff
and suggested that might be a problem. Be aware that the
GOOD quality cables will be much stiffer than the cheap
crap. Stiff is good (as the actress said to the Bishop)!

But if the HDMI connectors stick straight out of the back
of your TV, just get one of these little gizzmos to make
the 90 degree turn down the wall:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...+saver&x=0&y=0

Problem solved.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article , Phisherman
wrote:
[...]

They have in wall cables and out of wall cables, both types in several wire
gauges. I find the in wall types to be very stiff, which only really matters
if the TV has a horizontal connector on it. I was unaware that they made
right angle adaptors to solve that problem. Thanks for the link, I just
ordered a stash of em

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV (42" to 50", haven't quite decided
yet), and I know enough not to buy accessories from the local
electronics store (Don't get me started on HDMI cables...). So, I'm
looking to build a custom wall mount. I'm thinking aluminum l-bars.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can contribute some
do's and don'ts on the subject.

Thanks,
John

The only way I would make my own mount is for an idea I had to drop my LCD
from the basement ceiling. I was thinking about a hinged mount which would
swing down when I want to watch TV. Then I cam across this
http://www.auton.com/products/ceiling-lifts/ but learned how pricy they are
then went back to thinking of doing it myself. Though, in reality, there's
no reason why I would need to flip it up.

As others have said, just purchase a mount as they are very cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
Tony Hwang wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

You may like this http://www.auton.com/pdf/AUTON_DM_sheet_with_specs.pdf

How to wall mount glass Rick Hughes UK diy 4 May 20th 06 10:15 AM
wall mount sink chester Home Repair 2 January 29th 06 10:31 AM
phone jack -wall mount CathyLee Home Repair 9 December 28th 05 01:14 AM
WTB TFT TV Wall Mount Vortex UK diy 3 September 3rd 05 07:53 PM
wall mount TV stand recommendations? Jeff Guay Home Repair 2 September 1st 03 11:44 AM