Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bought too much paint

I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I can't
return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it when
the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Mc" wrote in message
I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I can't
return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it when the
weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm afraid I'm
stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint remain usable if
it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold temperatures that come
with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

I tried using some paint which the previous owner of my home left in the
garage for 3 winters and it behaved oddly. Why do you need to store your
leftover paint in the garage?

On the other hand, I have 5-6 year old paint which have been stored indoors,
and they work as well as the day I bought them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ed Mc wrote:
I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I
can't return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it
when the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

As other poster says, if it's latex and you let it freeze it'll not
likely remain in good shape to use later.

OTOH, I've used paint leftover from Dad that's been in the pumphouse
that is heated to roughly 40s/50s for 20 yrs or longer and it has seemed
just fine...I don't necessarily recommend this as a plan, but...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Ed Mc wrote:
I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I can't
return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it when
the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter?

You might as well throw it away now, as keep it in the garage over winter. It
will remain usable until the first hard freeze. Bring it indoors if you want
to save it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:23*am, Ed Mc wrote:
* * * * I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I can't
return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it when
the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

If it freezes its junk, it is water base. Take it inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 9:07*am, ransley wrote:
On Dec 3, 7:23*am, Ed Mc wrote:

* * * * I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I can't
return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it when
the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

If it freezes its junk, it is water base. Take it inside.

Freezing breaks emulsions and might also be true for oil based paint.
In any case I would not let it freeze.
Storage time depends on container. Cans may rust out in 5-10 years.
Plastic may be better but you also need to worry about drying in the
container which should be tightly sealed, usually best upside down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Mc wrote:
I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I can't
return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it when
the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

I'd buy an empty gallon can at HD, save a gallon, and ditch the rest. Keep
the gallon in the house for use as touch-up.

Next time hint for touch-up: Find a spray can of paint whose color you like.
Have the paint people match it and paint your house with the matched paint.
Thereafter, if you have to patch a hole, deal with bird droppings, or have a
hunk that peels off, a squirt out of the spray can should make things right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 05:23:25 -0800, Ed Mc
wrote:

I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I can't
return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it when
the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

Don't let it freeze and it will last many years. Or, you could get
rid of it using the "free items" on Craigslist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I can't
return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it when
the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

About 24 hours when the temperature drops below freezing. Keep it
inside the house and it's good for several years. Have it reshaken
next spring and put it on KIJIJI
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I can't
return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it when
the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

Don't let it freeze and it will last many years. Or, you could get
rid of it using the "free items" on Craigslist.

Give it to habitat restore, get a receipt, and take the money off your
taxes.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Mc wrote:
I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I
can't return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it
when the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

Open it up to check if it has a skin of dried paint on top. If it does,
remove the skin. Next cover directly on top of the good paint with
either the special plastic tops they make, or waxed paper, or
cellophane. Anything that will make a decent seal between the paint and
the air in the bucket. (also make sure it will be removable) I don't
know your garage or weather but if it never goes below freezing then
store it in the garage. If it gets freezing in the garage, bring it
inside. Preferably somewhere cool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

15 years ago a painter told me that if I wanted to store an open can
of paint, make sure the top's well hammered on, then store it upside-
down. That way any skin is on the bottom. (before storing upside-
down on the floor, though, I'd keep the can in a bucket for a week to
make sure it wasn't leaking)

I've used decade-old paint stored in this manner and the color was
indistinguishable from the original.

But-- I didn't let it freeze.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Mc wrote:
I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I
can't return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it
when the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

Thanks to all who replied. The paint has been moved indoors. The next
day the temperature dropped to 20 degrees. You saved my bacon! I mean
paint! Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shaun Eli wrote:
15 years ago a painter told me that if I wanted to store an open can
of paint, make sure the top's well hammered on, then store it upside-
down. That way any skin is on the bottom. (before storing upside-
down on the floor, though, I'd keep the can in a bucket for a week to
make sure it wasn't leaking)

I've used decade-old paint stored in this manner and the color was
indistinguishable from the original.

But-- I didn't let it freeze.

Great idea! It's always the simple ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Ed Mc wrote:
I purchased a 5gal. bucket of Valspar Duramax exterior paint. I can't
return it because it was color tinted. I wasn't able to sell it when
the weather was nice. Now that the weather has gone to the dogs I'm
afraid I'm stuck with it, hence my question. How long will the paint
remain usable if it just sits in the garage, exposed to the cold
temperatures that come with winter? Thanks for any knowledge.

As other poster says, if it's latex and you let it freeze it'll not
likely remain in good shape to use later.

OTOH, I've used paint leftover from Dad that's been in the pumphouse
that is heated to roughly 40s/50s for 20 yrs or longer and it has seemed
just fine...I don't necessarily recommend this as a plan, but...

--

Hmmm,
That old paint? Lead(Pb) concern?

Posted to alt.home.repair