Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water well

What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote:

What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

There is liable to be a local code that will nail it down for *you*.
But in general, you can make up for what you lack in by adding a
reservoir. When I was a kid our family of 6 did quite well with a
spring that got down to a couple gallons per *hour* in the summer. It
emptied into a spring house that was about 10feet square and 3-4 feet
deep.

Be careful with averages. Our water is metered & I check it every 6
months. Our family of 4 uses an average of 51,000 gallons every six
months for the last 11 years.

The low is 30,00- the high was 130,000. [Throw out the 130K & the
next highest is 98,000] The summer we used so much I was excavating a
couple walls in the basement and replacing the stone with block. Lots
of people and equipment washing going on all summer.

I imagine a family of 4 in FL would use more than a family of 4 in ME
- but I could be wrong. That said- here's what the EPA says about
that average family;
http://www.epa.gov/watersense/pubs/indoor.htm

Note that they say that the "average family of four can use 400
gallons of water every day" Our average is 140gallons a day, so I
guess we aren't average.
[I'm shocked at those numbers- I thought we would be way *over* the
average. ]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message

What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

Low pressure (trickle) systems in rural Canada supply
water at half a gallon per minute (30 gall./hour.) The
user needs to cumulate this in his own reservoir (of
plastic, half the size of a fuel oil tank.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

Hank

Usually you look at the well recovery rate. Cannot recall good number
but think it should be above at least 3-5 gal/min. Mine was 15 when I
bought house several years ago and that was said to be excellent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 03:13:36 -0800 (PST), "Hustlin' Hank"
wrote Re Water well:

What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

Hank

About 4 - 5 gallons/min during brief peak useage sould cover it.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

Hank

Hi,
Our local code is 5 GPM.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 6:13�am, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

Hank

needs to be how many galons after 20 minutes of constant
operation.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 03:13:36 -0800, Hustlin' Hank wrote:

What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

Ours will do about 4gpm sustained, and that's enough for the five of us
(bath doesn't take too long to fill, shower doesn't have problems if
someone turns on a tap elsewhere etc.) - it's a little on the low side,
but then the well's a narrow 2" pipe, it was put in over 20 years ago, and
the top end pump's over 30 years old, so it does pretty well (haha) for
itself.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message
What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

Hank

Might check with a local real estate agent. Or a mortgage company. I think
you need to have a certain flow to get a mortgage. 1/2 gallon per minute
gives 740 gallons per day. A thousand gallon storage tank can supply 5
gallons a minute for 200 minutes. To be happy I think 5 gallons per minute
is needed for home use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
"Hustlin' wrote in message
What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

Hank

Might check with a local real estate agent. Or a mortgage company. I think
you need to have a certain flow to get a mortgage. 1/2 gallon per minute
gives 740 gallons per day. A thousand gallon storage tank can supply 5
gallons a minute for 200 minutes. To be happy I think 5 gallons per minute
is needed for home use.

Hi,
Our local code won't allow a house to be built on less than 5 GPM well
on the site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 6:13*am, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

Hank

Depends, my friend out in OK had a well that just produce a trickle of
water. He use a solar/wind powerered pump that pumps the water all
day into a 3500 gal cistern. He has about a 10 acre hobby farm and
this pretty much supplies all of his water needs.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Hustlin' Hank" wrote:

[...]

Perhaps the EPA numbers are skewed by things like a suburban family
home having a sprinkler system or regular car washing in the driveway.
If they're just adding up water meter readings and dividing by some
average number pulled from the ether, it could account for the high
usage numbers. The EPA is, after all, a government agency.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 8:34�am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
Hustlin' Hank wrote:
What is the least amount of water (gallons per minute) a family of 4
needs out of a well? I know you can't have too much. But what is the
least?

Hank

How many gallons per minute is city water?

That depends on the size of the pipe/hose it is coming out of and the
pressure. I am guessing a 3/4" hose could supply at least 20 gal. min.
at 70 psi. But that's not my question.

Hank