Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlet Question

Kate wrote:
I have my Christmas lights plugged into several outside GFCI electrical
outlets.

They do have waterproof covers on them, but with the lights being
plugged into the outlet, I don't believe it is adequate coverage to
protect it from the rain and snow.

Would it be safe to simply tie a plastic bag around it? Any other ideas?

Many thanks.

Kate

Hi,
For years I plug light strings into GFCI outlet outside. Now using all
LED lights power consumption is very low. Not even single time GFCI
tripped. I live in Southern Alberta. BTW, tonight it is near -20 deg. C
with some snow on the ground. My lights are already in operation.
You know pure water is not a good conductor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:29:23 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Kate wrote:
I have my Christmas lights plugged into several outside GFCI electrical
outlets.

They do have waterproof covers on them, but with the lights being
plugged into the outlet, I don't believe it is adequate coverage to
protect it from the rain and snow.

Would it be safe to simply tie a plastic bag around it? Any other ideas?

Many thanks.

Kate

Hi,
For years I plug light strings into GFCI outlet outside. Now using all
LED lights power consumption is very low. Not even single time GFCI
tripped. I live in Southern Alberta. BTW, tonight it is near -20 deg. C
with some snow on the ground. My lights are already in operation.
You know pure water is not a good conductor.

It was 56 F here in Ga today. A little too cold for my tastes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Kate wrote:
I have my Christmas lights plugged into several outside GFCI electrical
outlets.

They do have waterproof covers on them, but with the lights being
plugged into the outlet, I don't believe it is adequate coverage to
protect it from the rain and snow.

Would it be safe to simply tie a plastic bag around it? Any other ideas?

Many thanks.

Kate

Hi,
For years I plug light strings into GFCI outlet outside. Now using all
LED lights power consumption is very low. Not even single time GFCI
tripped. I live in Southern Alberta. BTW, tonight it is near -20 deg. C
with some snow on the ground. My lights are already in operation.
You know pure water is not a good conductor.

It was 56 F here in Ga today. *A little too cold for my tastes.

It was 46 F here in Michigan. I was out in just a t-shirt.

David

(Disclaimer - By "out" I mean that I was outside. And I was wearing
pants, socks and shoes so technically I was wearing more than just a t-
shirt. But I was not wearing a hat so I was topless.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Tony Hwang wrote:
You know pure water is not a good conductor.

Idiot. Where are you going to find pure water, outside of a laboratory?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 8:01*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Tony Hwang wrote:
You know pure water is not a good conductor.

Idiot. Where are you going to find pure water, outside of a laboratory?

There might be places on eearth where the rain/snow water is less
contaminated than that which falls in Pittsburgh or NYC

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Tony Hwang
wrote:
You know pure water is not a good conductor.

Idiot. Where are you going to find pure water, outside of a
laboratory?

You can buy distilled water at the grocery store. It's pretty pure.
Admittedly, not a pure as triple-distilled commonly found in a lab, but
almost.

Rain. Rain starts off more pure than triple-distilled water. It may pick up
some contaminants on the way down and some more as it drains off the roof.
But in ten minutes or so, most of the possible contaminants have been washed
away and subsequent drops are about as good as commercial distilled water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Tony Hwang
wrote:
You know pure water is not a good conductor.

Idiot. Where are you going to find pure water, outside of a
laboratory?

You can buy distilled water at the grocery store. It's pretty pure.
Admittedly, not a pure as triple-distilled commonly found in a lab, but
almost.

Rain. Rain starts off more pure than triple-distilled water. It may pick up
some contaminants on the way down and some more as it drains off the roof.
But in ten minutes or so, most of the possible contaminants have been washed
away and subsequent drops are about as good as commercial distilled water.

Have you ever heard of acid rain???? So pure it is killing forests in
some areas.