Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Foundation moisture, quickie fix?

On Nov 25, 2:46�pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
Awl --

English tudor house has a nice slate roof, but the overhang (eaves?) are
minimal, subjecting the sides and the foundation of the house to
considerable moisture when it rains. �I've wanted to extend the overhang of
the entire perimeter of the roof, but what an effing job that will be....
and a difficult exercise in geometry, as well.

So as a stop-gap, I thought of taking coiled sheet aluminum (24" wide), and
laying it around the base of the house at some suitable pitch, covering the
alum with old slates, etc, mebbe make a walkway around the house in this
fashion.

This way, the soil close to the house would stay somewhat dry, keeping the
foundation/basement drier. �The overall grade of the soil is favorable to
the house, and I figured this would raise the protection a few notches, by
at least preventing seepage from direct downpours at the base of the house.

I have read/seen (HGTV) that grade is the first measure toward
foundation/basement dryness.

Is 2 feet enough?

Anything else I can do to further the cause of dryness, without jumping
through hoops/breaking the bank?

--
EA

interior french drain with sump pump or better drain to daylight.

grade should be away from home 20 feet or more, if you live in a
valley you are screwed.

first make certain all gutters and downspouts are clear and working
well, and draining far awy from foundation.

had a home with water problems, replaced all downspout drain lines to
street, didnt help.

had exterior french drain added around most of foundation, regraded
entire yard, replaced all sidewalks, some of driveway, and new drains
to street. within a few months water entering basement again..........

having spent near 10 grand I had interior french drain installed $3500
it ended the problem.

rs422 quickie ml Electronics Repair 1 January 9th 07 12:50 AM
Corgi reg quickie Stuart Noble UK diy 3 April 23rd 06 11:24 AM
dumb quickie Q - lockshields Colin Wilson UK diy 4 November 7th 04 12:57 PM
new install / boiler quickie (it started as a quickie anyway...) Colin Wilson UK diy 15 March 3rd 04 07:11 PM
SOS - Laminate floor quickie michael cane UK diy 4 August 10th 03 07:29 PM