Posted to alt.home.repair
ivk ivk is offline

Default Seam between wall tile and bathtub

What kind of material should I put into the seam between wall tile and
bathtub ? My contractor used just wall tile grout, but it is getting
very wet, and darkens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Silicone bathroom chalk.

And if this the way your contractor thinks it should be finished, I would be
worried that there are other things on the this job right not right.

"ivk" wrote in message
What kind of material should I put into the seam between wall tile and
bathtub ? My contractor used just wall tile grout, but it is getting
very wet, and darkens.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ivk ivk is offline

So should I replace the grout with the silicon bathroom chalk, or put
it on the top ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 6:55*pm, ivk wrote:
So should I replace the grout with the silicon bathroom chalk, or put
it on the top ?

You should have replaced the contractor.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"ivk" wrote in message
What kind of material should I put into the seam between wall tile and
bathtub ? My contractor used just wall tile grout, but it is getting
very wet, and darkens.

Grout should have not been placed between the tub and tile at all. Yes
best way would probably be to remove the grout, allow to completely
dry...could be as much as 3 days or more as the wall behind may have wicked
up the water.... then what you do is fill the tub with water, then with the
tub full you caulk around it, then leave the tub full till the silicone
cures and drain the tub... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 7:18*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 21, 6:55*pm, ivk wrote:

So should I replace the grout with the silicon bathroom chalk, or put
it on the top ?

You should have replaced the contractor.

But seriously folks...

Ideally you should remove the grout. The grout will eventually crack
because the tub will move due to the weight of the water and person or
persons.

How big of a gap did the "contractor" leave between the tub and the
tile? If it's too big, you might have to use backer rod to fill the
gap before caulking. If it's *really* big, you might have a really
hard time making it look good.

Many folks suggest filling the tub with water and then getting in the
tub before you caulk. This will open the gap as much as it will
usually open. An extra person in the tub every now and then won't make
much difference.

Give the caulk time to cure a bit before draining the tub.

Of course, this is something the contractor should be doing, but based
on his use of grout, I don't think I'd call him back. If he's part of
a "company" you might call them and ask that they send over a
different worker to make it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
"ivk" wrote in message
What kind of material should I put into the seam between wall tile and
bathtub ? My contractor used just wall tile grout, but it is getting
very wet, and darkens.

Grout should have not been placed between the tub and tile at all. Yes
best way would probably be to remove the grout, allow to completely
dry...could be as much as 3 days or more as the wall behind may have wicked
up the water.... then what you do is fill the tub with water, then with the
tub full you caulk around it, then leave the tub full till the silicone
cures and drain the tub... Jim

Wipe the tub and tile with full-strength bleach and let dry just prior
to caulking. That will help prevent mildew growing under/behind the
caulk. Corners where tile meets tile or tile meets floor should also be
caulked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bathtub chalk? That makes some interesting mental pictures.
I'd guess you wrote "caulk" but your spell checker switched
the word without your knowledge. Anyhow, most big box
hardware stores do have bathtub caulk. Important to apply to
a clean and dry surface, wait the reccomended time for the
vinegar smell to clear, and the caulk to harden.

I've also heard advised to keep the tub full of cold water
while the caulk dries. Otherwise, when you fill the tub, the
tub settles down a little and tends to pull the caulk away
from the wall.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus