Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing leaking metal pipe threads to PVC joint?

I have a 1" barb male thread fitting that is screwed in to a PVC tee.
It was new work and I used teflon tape. Upon water testing, it was
barely leaking, maybe a cup a day. Tried tightening it more, didn't
make a difference. Took it apart, re-wrapped it with teflon tape
really well and now it leaks much worse, maybe quart+ a day.

This is on an irrigation well, so I wish I had never even noticed it
as the tiny initial leak wouldn't have amounted to anything. But now
that I'm down this path, what next. It would be very difficult to
change the T. Since it's an irrigation application, I'm thinking of
using Permatex as a next step. Only concern would be if Permatex
could destroy the PVC over time? Any other ideas? TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 9:17�am, The Daring Dufas
I have a 1" barb male thread fitting that is screwed in to a PVC tee.
It was new work and I used teflon tape. �Upon water testing, it was
barely leaking, maybe a cup a day. � Tried tightening it more, didn't
make a difference. � Took it apart, re-wrapped it with teflon tape
really well and now it leaks much worse, maybe quart+ a day.

This is on an irrigation well, so I wish I had never even noticed it
as the tiny initial leak wouldn't have amounted to anything. � But now
that I'm down this path, what next. � It would be very difficult to
change the T. � Since it's an irrigation application, I'm thinking of
using Permatex as a next step. � Only concern would be if Permatex
could destroy the PVC over time? �Any other ideas? �TIA

I've had good luck with a product called Leak Lock.

http://www.highsidechem.com/leaklck.html

It's at all the supply houses around here and should
be available nationwide.

TDD

or you could use epoxy..........

take fitting apart clean off everything, at this point the PVC may be
worn or cracked
Posted to alt.home.repair

TDD is right on the money with LeakLock. We have been using it for about
40 years. Blue Goop we call it. The main supply house that we use quit
carrying it, and have a blue pipe dope they claim is nearly the same
thing (it's not), and also say that they quit making the original. I
found it at a different supply house and now just buy it there out of my
pocket-- it's worth it. Only one word of caution-- be careful and don't
get it on your hands, and especially don't touch anything of value when
you do- VERY difficult to remove. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 5:41*am, wrote:
I have a 1" barb male thread fitting that is screwed in to a PVC tee.
It was new work and I used teflon tape. *Upon water testing, it was
barely leaking, maybe a cup a day. * Tried tightening it more, didn't
make a difference. * Took it apart, re-wrapped it with teflon tape
really well and now it leaks much worse, maybe quart+ a day.

This is on an irrigation well, so I wish I had never even noticed it
as the tiny initial leak wouldn't have amounted to anything. * But now
that I'm down this path, what next. * It would be very difficult to
change the T. * Since it's an irrigation application, I'm thinking of
using Permatex as a next step. * Only concern would be if Permatex
could destroy the PVC over time? *Any other ideas? *TIA

One should never make a metal to pvc join with a male metal fitting.
A bit of overtightening will crack the pvc fitting. I learned that
the hard way when I had to dig up one buried 4 ft deep to fix the
leak. I buried it in about August and the leak appeared in January
running out from under the snow.

Anyhow. I have had no problem with either joint compound or teflon
tape. Have had one or two very slow leaks that sealed themselves
after a time.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Nov 19, 5:41 am, wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
I use snug fit hose clamp to lessen that risk. Too much tightening is
often cause of trouble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, the OP never said the male fitting was metal-- only a male
barb type fitting, which could also mean they gray one for poly pipe.
However, it probably still would have been preferable to have the PVC
connector male and whatever screwed onto it a female. Ideally a regular
PVC tee with a short piece of pipe and then a F/A glued onto that, but
it is a little late for that now. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Duhh --sorry I was reading the post and totally ignored the title.
Not the first dumb thing I have ever done and surely won't be the last.
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had good results with Rectorseal #5. Of course,
Permatex #2 non hardening would work, instead. Dissemble,
and put on fresh teflon. Put the sealant on top of the
teflon, and then thread the fitting on. Do not put sealant
into the fitting. Just on the exposed threads.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:37:06 -0600, Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:

Duhh --sorry I was reading the post and totally ignored the title.
Not the first dumb thing I have ever done and surely won't be the last.

I went one better and read the original post, typed a reply, realised
suddenly that I couldn't see any mention of metal in the original post,
and canned my reply before sending. D'oh. Now all the useful stuff's been

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've had good results with Rectorseal #5. Of course,
Permatex #2 non hardening would work, instead. Dissemble,
and put on fresh teflon. Put the sealant on top of the
teflon, and then thread the fitting on. Do not put sealant
into the fitting. Just on the exposed threads.

Hey, I use that Rectumseal #5 too. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

My old boss used to call it, that. Sounds like old Indian
name. White man bring rectumseal.

Teflon plus recorseal is what we used to use on galvanized
water lines, too. He used to really like the blue stuff. I
called it "blue blocker" in a take off of the old TV
commercials. When I used to watch the one eyed brain sucker.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've had good results with Rectorseal #5. Of course,
Permatex #2 non hardening would work, instead. Dissemble,
and put on fresh teflon. Put the sealant on top of the
teflon, and then thread the fitting on. Do not put sealant
into the fitting. Just on the exposed threads.

Hey, I use that Rectumseal #5 too. 8-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 5:41*am, wrote:
I have a 1" barb male thread fitting that is screwed in to a PVC tee.
It was new work and I used teflon tape. *Upon water testing, it was
barely leaking, maybe a cup a day. * Tried tightening it more, didn't
make a difference. * Took it apart, re-wrapped it with teflon tape
really well and now it leaks much worse, maybe quart+ a day.

This is on an irrigation well, so I wish I had never even noticed it
as the tiny initial leak wouldn't have amounted to anything. * But now
that I'm down this path, what next. * It would be very difficult to
change the T. * Since it's an irrigation application, I'm thinking of
using Permatex as a next step. * Only concern would be if Permatex
could destroy the PVC over time? *Any other ideas? *TIA

as per the other posts....I quit doing "male metal pipe threads into
female PVC fittings".

I only cracked one but that was enough. Now its male PVC into metal.

But to the problem at hand.......you could try the one of the various
"goops" being suggested

compatible with PVC http://www.devcon.com/products/produ...2&familyid=439

or since (imo) the fitting is probably cracked.... to fix the real
problem.

Screw the metal bard fitting into a metal coupling, screw a PVC short
nipple into the coupling. Prime, glue & screw the PVC/metal assembly
into PVC tee. Allow several hours to cure & you should be good to
go.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 11:04*am, Harry K wrote:
On Nov 19, 5:41*am, wrote:

[...]

The only problem I have with the tape is that people tend to use too
much of it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 10:22*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
On Nov 19, 5:41*am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the tips. I ordered a tube of Leak Lock on Ebay.
Will let you all know how it works out, assuming it gets here before
the sprinkler guys blow out the system. The reason I used the metal
barb was that the inside diameter of the metal barbs is a little
larger and since this is at the head end of the system, wanted to get
max flow. I've also found that they are easier to work with. I
don't think I cracked the T as I was careful not to overtighten it.
Also, it was leaking from the start when it wasn't real tight to begin
with and I would suspect if it actually cracked it would be leaking
worse.