Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door Frame Weatherstripping Question??

Hello everyone,

I am hoping that someone here can help me out? I am looking for a
special type of door weatherstripping that I can't seem to find
anywhere.

Many years ago when we use to live in a tenement home that was built in
1905, we had drafts around the doors. We called the landlord, and he
sent the handyman over, who put weatherstripping around the outside of
the door.

It worked really good at stopping the drafts, and we wanted to get some
for the doors of the home that we are in now, but can't seem to find the
same type.

I will explain it the best I can. The type he put on was the type that
you cut to specification to the doors height and width, and then nail or
tack around the outside of the closed door. The weatherstripping was
White in color, and it was sort of like a vinyl spongy foam, with either
a thin piece of wood or metal on the inside of it. It was flat and not
the "kurf", "closed-cell", or "tubular" type which is all I can seem to
find in the stores.

It didn't have anything that went inside the door like the "kurf" kind.
You would just close the door, and nail it into the door frame of the
closed door. Like I said, it was flat, and was made of a "spongy" foam
material inside, and white vinyl outside. If you pushed the "spongy"
foam inward, you could feel that there was either wood or metal ( not
positive which, because we never cut it open to see! ), on the other
side of the weatherstripping for the nails/tacks to go through.

We have gone to Home Depot, Lowes, and the local hardware store, and
have not been able to find the same kind?? All they have is the "kurf"
kind, or the "tubular", "circular-cell", or "all wood" kind. No one
seems to have the flat, spongy foam kind with the thin piece of wood on
the inside.

Does anyone know the kind I am talking about, whats it called, if its
still made, and where I can find it??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!