Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about replacing SHower Drain??

Hi,

I have one of those el-cheapo one piece plastic (or whatever it is) shower /
bath-tub enclosures. Need to replace the shower drain since the
0.000000001mm (LOL) "chrome" coating has come off and it looks all rusty.
The style I have is similar to this one:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...hu_Hawaii.html

Has nothing to do with Hawaii, etc. thats just the one google showed me .

As you can see, there are no screws, etc... just the metal "X" at the
bottom.

Do these screw out from the top? Or does changing them requiring something
crazy like ripping out the shower or something?

How do you unscrew those? The metal "X" at the bottom seems kind of fragile.
Is there a special tool or something?

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/12/2009 2:26 AM (ET) Somebody wrote the following:
Hi,

I have one of those el-cheapo one piece plastic (or whatever it is) shower /
bath-tub enclosures. Need to replace the shower drain since the
0.000000001mm (LOL) "chrome" coating has come off and it looks all rusty.
The style I have is similar to this one:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...hu_Hawaii.html

Has nothing to do with Hawaii, etc. thats just the one google showed me .

As you can see, there are no screws, etc... just the metal "X" at the
bottom.

Do these screw out from the top? Or does changing them requiring something
crazy like ripping out the shower or something?

How do you unscrew those? The metal "X" at the bottom seems kind of fragile.
Is there a special tool or something?

It does screw out. I use a pair of water pump pliers upside down, with
the handle end in the drain.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 7:32*am, DT wrote:
In article , says...

Hi,

I have one of those el-cheapo one piece plastic (or whatever it is) shower /
bath-tub enclosures. Need to replace the shower drain since the
0.000000001mm (LOL) "chrome" coating has come off and it looks all rusty..
Do these screw out from the top? Or does changing them requiring something
crazy like ripping out the shower or something?

How do you unscrew those? The metal "X" at the bottom seems kind of fragile.
Is there a special tool or something?

They screw out. There is a tool available with cross cuts that lock around the
X. Now, you need to be aware that when you remove the drain, the parts
underneath are completely free. There is a base that has the plumbing hooked
to it, and a large rubber gasket that gets compressed to the bottom of the
shower. All of this will be free to move and possibly drop down if the piping
allows it. Then you're screwed. It *should* all stick together against the
shower, or have the piping supported, but just be careful

Dennis

Dennis-

I have a very similar situation in my MIL's house. She has a bath tub
with either gold or very yellow bright brass fittings. As in the OP's
situation the finish on the drain is totally shot & the brass material
beneath the oriignal finish is corroded green.

She wanted to my SIL to "paint" the fitting which I thought (still
think) is nuts.
I told her that the fitting needed to be replaced but I was (still am)
very nervous about doing it.

The house is built on a slab on grade not a crawlspace.......what is
the recovery plan IF the plumbing below shifts, drops or the new
drain fitting cannot be screwed into place?

Sounds to me like my best bet is to dodge this job & tell her to hire
a plumber?

cheers
Bob