Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat $ LPG vs Electric

Using this calculator, it tells me that straight electric heat costs me
only about 9% more than LPG. Does this look right?

My costs Electric $0.0975/KWH and LPG $1.96/gallon

http://suhresgas.com/propane_vs_electric.htm

I suppose adding in the cost of the blower fan would even out since both
units have a fan?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:

Using this calculator, it tells me that straight electric heat costs me
only about 9% more than LPG. Does this look right?

My costs Electric $0.0975/KWH and LPG $1.96/gallon

http://suhresgas.com/propane_vs_electric.htm

I suppose adding in the cost of the blower fan would even out since both
units have a fan?

I think it points to an electric heat pump being a lower operating cost
option than either LP or electric resistive heating. A heat pump also
gives you A/C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Tony wrote:
Using this calculator, it tells me that straight electric heat costs me
only about 9% more than LPG. Does this look right?

My costs Electric $0.0975/KWH and LPG $1.96/gallon

http://suhresgas.com/propane_vs_electric.htm

I suppose adding in the cost of the blower fan would even out since both
units have a fan?

I think it points to an electric heat pump being a lower operating cost
option than either LP or electric resistive heating. A heat pump also
gives you A/C.

Yes I know a heat pump is much more efficient but I'm not sure it is
worth the initial cost being that it is to heat the garage which only
needs heat sporadically.

One possibility is getting a new AC/Heat Pump for the house and using
the old AC unit and resistive heating for the garage. And for emergency
heat in the new unit for the house, with the cost of electric resistive
heat being only 9% higher that LPG, the cheaper unit with resistive
heating would probably even out in the long run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

Don't forget to factor in the cost of a suitable large LPG tank in your
comparisons. Buy or lease, those big tanks aren't especially cheap, and
they have a finite service life until requalification and eventually
replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds about right. About the only thing that would vary is the
efficiency of the furnace. I know of at least three people who traded
older single wide mobile homes and got new doublewides. All the old ones
were propane, and all of the got the new ones all electric (non heat
pump) and have no regrets. I replaced my propane water heater with
electric about 14 years ago, and my only regret was not going electric
on the previous switchout. From what I can figure, it seems to cost
about half as much to operate, plus this one cost about half as much to
buy as the propane, and is still working with one $10 element
replacement, while the propane started leaking at about 7 years, and
leaking badly at about 8 when I replaced it. I have dual fuel heat pumps
--but I already had the furnaces when I switched to the HP's about 9
years ago. Besides that, I would have to upgrade my electric service to
go all electric. The only time the furnaces fire up is when the HP's go
into defrost. There are a few days each year that they really struggle
to keep up, but so far it hasn't gotten cold enough that they didn't--
and these are both about 25 y/o approx 10 SEER takeouts that I put in.
I've been toying with replacing them with new 16 SEER 410A units, but as
long as they are still chugging away, I'll probably just keep them.
BTW, you are getting screwed on your propane. I just filled my tank two
weeks ago and I only paid $1.95/gal (: Hopefully this tank will last
several years-- I do have a propane cooktop also. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you really want to save money, you absolutely must buy a "HeatSurge"
miracle fireplace that has a real Amish made hand rubbed wood mantle and
a "Flameless Fire"--or is it a "Fireless Flame." Check out the double
page ads in your newspaper, or the ads and infomercials on tv. You'll
want to order two of them. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Let me guess.... it puts out a FULL 5,200 BTU per hour on a
15 amp circuit?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Lp1331 1p1331" wrote in message
If you really want to save money, you absolutely must buy a
"HeatSurge"
miracle fireplace that has a real Amish made hand rubbed
wood mantle and
a "Flameless Fire"--or is it a "Fireless Flame." Check out
the double
page ads in your newspaper, or the ads and infomercials on
tv. You'll
want to order two of them. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

all electric homes are totally screwed during power failures. no
anything..........

the first hour rating and recovery of propane is far superior to
electric for water heating.

meaningless in a single person home where outdoor temps rarely get
below freezing......

critical in a busy home with 3 kids and parents trying to get off to
work first thing on a 20 degree morning
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
If you really want to save money, you absolutely must buy a "HeatSurge"
miracle fireplace that has a real Amish made hand rubbed wood mantle and
a "Flameless Fire"--or is it a "Fireless Flame." Check out the double
page ads in your newspaper, or the ads and infomercials on tv. You'll
want to order two of them. Larry

I see the ads on TV all the time. Some Amish people with electric are
making a bundle! Actually I already save money the same exact way those
amish heaters do. They turn down the heat in the whole home and use the
portable heater to warm the room they are in. Would you believe it
works even without the Amish touch? The Amish are getting a very bad
name with all the crap they sell these days. I suppose the "real" Amish
do quality work, but they only do it for themselves these days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd never go to electric water heater. Hot shower brings
back life, during a power cut.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
all electric homes are totally screwed during power
failures. no
anything..........

the first hour rating and recovery of propane is far
superior to
electric for water heating.

meaningless in a single person home where outdoor temps
rarely get
below freezing......

critical in a busy home with 3 kids and parents trying to
get off to
work first thing on a 20 degree morning

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
BTW, you are getting screwed on your propane. I just filled my tank two
weeks ago and I only paid $1.95/gal (:

OK was that a joke or a mistake? Actually the $1.96 I quoted was if I
take my own tank there to get filled, or call them to come here when I
want it filled (when the price is low). If I sign up for automatic
delivery it's 6 cents less/gallon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was joking about getting screwed on the price, but I really did pay
$1.95. I called around for prices for 200 gallons, and that was the best
price I got, by nearly a dime a gallon. Larry

Whirlpool electric dryer; problem with heat/thermal cut-offs (no heat) Mike Home Repair 1 August 31st 07 06:34 PM
Converting from electric Heat to Natural Gas heat? D J Home Repair 5 September 25th 06 02:06 AM
electric heat? AND Books Home Repair 13 February 13th 06 01:09 AM
HVAC - Oil or electric backup for new heat pump? Or oil heat only? anne in pa Home Repair 3 August 18th 05 01:55 PM
How does electric heat compare to gas heat at today's prices. Mark Home Repair 18 February 6th 05 08:53 PM