Posted to alt.home.repair

Default attach a coaxial cable jack

On Nov 10, 3:07*pm, George wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Nov 7, 8:50 pm, Jan Philips
wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 20:22:45 -0500, "RBM" wrote:
If you go to radio shack, they should have screw on coax connectors. You can
probably get it to work with a pliers, but it may come apart
Thanks. *When I was in the store I didn't see screw-on ones, but I'll
ask.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

HD or Lowe's is probably the best place to find them.I think they cost
10 for $6.00 for the screw on kind I hate F connectors, it not a
matter of if they are going to fail it is a matter of when. The
biggest maintenance task the cable guys do is going around replacing
cable ends. Its not that the ends are poorly made, they are poorly
designed. The cables copper center conductor that forms the male part
of the connector will eventually corrode.

Thats really the main reason why cable companies don't use/won't accept
big box quality connectors.

Cable company stuff isnt any better, some is worse. When I wired my
house for cable I used DeOxit on all the connectors and put heatshrink
tubing on them. I havent had a single problem inside the house since
then. EAsy to tell when your connectors are getting bad if you have a
digital cable box. You will have to google yor box but you can find
out how to pull up the data screen for the box on your TV and it will
show the signal strength for each channel. I was able to get the
minimum signal for my box and it was about -60db. MAbe that was 60db
SNR cant remem ber now its been a while since I had to do it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:30:15 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:33:57 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:54:49 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

I need to attach one coaxial cable jack. I've never done it before
but I know the idea. I don't have a crimping tool. Can it be crimped
well enough with pliers instead of a proper crimping tool?

OK, it is on. The twist type was easy to do. I'll have to wait
before I can test it. The package says the twist type is for antenna
only, use a crimp or solder type for cable.

That's interesting. It seems to me antenna signals are the weakest
signals such cables will carry, and if anything, they would need the
soldered connector because they are so weak.

And cable signals are in the same frequency range too.

But there are a lot of things I don't know.

I'll see if it works well
enough.

P&M

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That's interesting. It seems to me antenna signals are the weakest
signals such cables will carry, and if anything, they would need the
soldered connector because they are so weak.

Other signals carry more information so they are probably more
susceptible to noise.

On a simple analog cable connection (using no cable box), there would
be no such signals.