Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Score one for top loading washers

How would you like to pay top dollar for a new washing machine - only
to have it stink up your laundry room?

It's happening to lots of people who have a front-loading washer. KOMO
News Problem Solver Herb Weisbaum spent the last few weeks trying to
find out what's causing this smelly problem.

Consumers like front-loaders because they save water and energy - and
get your clothes really clean. But many front-loading washers have
this annoying odor problem.

"Putrid, nasty, permeates the whole laundry room and basement," says
Dennis Hanson, who owns a front-loader.

Rae Lembersky, who also owns a front-loader, has the same problem.

So does Teresa Muench - and KOMO News was there when she got her first
look at the smelly bacteria growing inside her washer.

"Black gooey, smelly, slimy stuff," she says.

"It's definitely all around the tub, a little bit here and there,"
says a repairman who came to look at the problem.

For Rae Lembersky the smell was more than annoying. Because of a
medical condition, she needs to be very careful about contaminants in
her house.

"And it just gives me the willies," she says. "It's like 'eeech,'
cause I don't like the thought of mold."

"Imagine that you're in one of those movies where there's a swamp
monster, and it's that kind of swampy kind of musty sort of yucky
smell," she added.

Desperate for relief, Rae hired Scott Wiseman to remove and replace
the disgusting rubber gasket. It cost $300.

And this is a machine that was cleaned with and run with bleach and
hot water.

"It's a problem for all front-loaders," Wiseman said.

To find out what's causing the problem, KOMO News turned to Consumer
Reports. They've had so many complaints about smelly front-loaders the
editors now warn readers about it. ...

END EXCERPT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 4:14*pm, mike wrote:
[...]

So here's the issue - when I see something in an article that I know
is not true, especially one written in "panic prose", I have to
discount the entire article.

I have a front loader, I don't have mold, so "It's a problem for all
front-loaders" is simply not true. My laundry doesn't stink either.

"Desperate for relief, Rae hired Scott Wiseman to remove and
replace the disgusting rubber gasket. It cost $300."

I wonder how often he plans on doing that...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 13:29:11 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 2, 4:14?pm, mike wrote:
[...]

I have one too. 3 friends of mine have them too. I've been using
them at laundromats for 40 years. Never once seen mold on any of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Panic Prose" -- a keeper!!

Who originated that phrase?

"Panic Narrative"?? All these cop/chase/rescue videos, where every effing
moment verges on catastrophe -- effing Stacy Keach's new vocation,
apparently, after jail/coke rehab.

Really, so tedious after a while.

--
EA

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Nov 2, 4:14 pm, mike wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 4:14 pm, mike wrote:

[...]

I wonder how often he plans on doing that...- Hide quoted text -

""Panic Prose" -- a keeper!! Who originated that phrase?"

As far as I know, it was me.

At least I can say that I've never heard it before so if somebody has
used it before me, I didn't willfully steal it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:29:11 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"It's a problem for all front-loaders"

So here's the issue - when I see something in an article that I know
is not true, especially one written in "panic prose", I have to
discount the entire article.

I start to suspect that the guy who wrote it was paid a handsome amount
for writing exactly what he did, to be honest.

"Desperate for relief, Rae hired Scott Wiseman to remove and replace
the disgusting rubber gasket. It cost $300."

I wonder how often he plans on doing that...

The gaskets seem to run to about $100, so maybe he'll learn to do it
himself and then he can do it three times as often.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:14:30 -0800, mike wrote:
How would you like to pay top dollar for a new washing machine - only
to have it stink up your laundry room?

Well, if it's such an issue it makes me ask the question - what the heck
are they doing with the USA ones that they aren't doing in models for
other countries where front-loaders have been the norm for decades?
Front-loaders do seem to be relatively "new tech" to North America (until
I moved over here I hadn't seen a top-loader* in over 20 years), but it's
not like they're new to the planet and I've never known front-loading
machines have anything like the problems mentioned.

* I'm not knocking them, though. I like the fact they're easily
repairable, the spares availability is high - and from a usage point of
view that you can add stuff after the machine's already running.

So - design fault in US designs? Different usage pattern to
other countries (often cold-water washes rather than hot, maybe)?
Different location (lots more machines in basements in the US I bet; maybe
they take longer to dry out)? Different formulation for the detergent used
in the US compared to other countries?

"It's a problem for all front-loaders," Wiseman said.

No, it's most definitely not.

curious...

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 3:14*pm, mike wrote:
[...]

When we first got our front loader (Neptune) I did notice a slight
odor, like light mildew. We started adding a little baking soda to
each load and it went away never to return. It has already payed for
itself in propane, between the hot water and the dryer, washing
clothes with my old setup was my second biggest user, after heating
the house. We have had it for about 5 years & would replace it with
another in a heartbeat. though the Fisher & Paykel top loader looks
interesting if it will do the big stuff. We regularly do our king size
comforters & it handles them with ease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
How would you like to pay top dollar for a new washing machine - only
to have it stink up your laundry room?

It's happening to lots of people who have a front-loading washer. KOMO
News Problem Solver Herb Weisbaum spent the last few weeks trying to
find out what's causing this smelly problem.

Long long ago in a far off laundry room I had a new top loader that
smelled after it sat for days, sometimes a week unused. I ran it with a
hell of a lot of chlorine bleach then always left the lid open often
emptying it. It never smelled again. I can however see oneself
bruising their knees on the open door of a front loader.