Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are there many treaters?

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Final report 36 boys, 19 girls.

When they are three feet tall, and wearing a costume with headgear (and
around here, a winter jacket against the high-30s wind chill), and too
shy to speak, how do you tell the gender? ) Other than assuming
princesses are female, and action figures are male, of course.

I didn't keep count, but they left me maybe a dozen pieces from two of
the big Sam's club bags of the name-brand chocolate 'fun size'
assortments, and most of the kids only took one. If the outer labels on
the bag were correct, and counting what I ate and have left, I had maybe
180 or so kids, unless some of their tiny hands were better at palming
extra pieces than I thought. I'd growl when the ten year olds got
grabby, but what are you going to say to a toddler?

Froze my ass off sitting out there for two hours, until I was almost out
of candy. And to bring this on-topic for the group, I really gotta
replace that fubar'd front porch with something little kids can actually
climb up without hurting themselves, so I can pass out candy through
front door like a civilized person. The steps face where the sidewalk
used to be, to the old driveway leading to the now-buried original
basement garage. When idiot previous owner (or the idiot before him, not
sure) put the addition and new garage on, they cheaped out and didn't
replace the front stoop to make the steps face the new walkway. So, you
step on to the END of the lowest step, then have an extra-high step
before you get to the porch. Then they added a cast step on top of that,
since the front door sill was still too high, pouring it against the
siding, without flashing, so it traps water behind it. The arc of the
opening storm door leaves only a tiny triangle to stand, with nothing to
hang on to except the door itself. Whole damn thing needs to be demo'd
and redone properly, about 2 feet wider. Really needs an awning above it
too, since there is almost no overhang on front of house, but there is
almost no wall showing above the front door. Real good example of why
inset front door became so popular in the 60s and early 70s- you NEED a
small front porch for safety and weather protection.

--
aem sends...