Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Attached garage firewall - how to seal?

On Oct 26, 9:15*pm, "benick" wrote:
"Bubba Bubbs" wrote in message

. . . . . . .
The hatch is, essentially, a 2ftx2ft opening in the drywall/firewall.
The 2'x2' piece of drywall is not even attched with any hinges, it's
just put in place to cover the opening and is fastened with four
nails. Naturally, there is a little bit of space inbetween, so I would
like to seal that space - basically, seal off that whole hatch. The
idea is to ensure a good fire-resistant seal between the garage and
the attic. (Going forward, I won't use the hatch; there is another
hatch in the hallway inside the house for attic access.)

My question: what kind of sealant should I use to seal the spaces
between the hatch "square" and the firewall. *Would any kind of fire
resistant caulk do the job? *Or is there some kind of tape I'm
supposed to use?
.. . . . .

. . . .Just mud and paper tape to seal the hatch...

I took a short course on firestops etc, a long, long, long time
ago. What I remember was that:

drywall/no tape/no mud = very poor firestop

drywall +tape + mud = good firestop

At work, they used some sort of quick setting ceramic cement to seal
around cables penetrating walls but they were meeting a tougher code
than residential.

Keep in mind that in residential, it's mostly "fire-slow-down", not
really "fire-stop".

Regards
-J