Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat pump question

Our new SEER 14 heat pump runs when outside temp drops into the low
20s. Our old heat pump would shutdown when the outside temp dropped
below 35deg. Is our new machine running correctly and, if so at what
point should it stop based on Outside temp?

Thank you, TW in Western NC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 9:11*am, " wrote:
Our new SEER 14 heat pump runs when outside temp drops into the low
20s. Our old heat pump would shutdown when the outside temp dropped
below 35deg. *Is our new machine running correctly and, if so at what
point should it stop based on Outside temp?

Thank you, TW in Western NC

I sure hope it hasn't been in the low 20s in NC this season yet.

You new heat pump is likely working fine. New ones are more
efficient and can function efficiently at lower temps. As long as
it's heating the house sufficiently, you are likely OK.

The exact point where it makes sense to switch to aux heat depends on
factors that we don't know:

the efficiency curve of the heat pump vs outside temp
the cost of electricity
the cost of whatever fuel the aux heat uses

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 9:11*am, " wrote:
Our new SEER 14 heat pump runs when outside temp drops into the low
20s. Our old heat pump would shutdown when the outside temp dropped
below 35deg. *Is our new machine running correctly and, if so at what
point should it stop based on Outside temp?

Thank you, TW in Western NC

Depends on how it is set up. Does it have an outside thermostat? If
so the you probably can vary the point. What's your backup heat,
electric or gas? Some units never quit, they just start augmenting
with electric when they can not maintain the inside set point any
more. If your backup heat source is electric then it has to get
pretty cold before it's cheaper to use all electric.

Heat pump question SteveB[_3_] Home Repair 6 December 25th 07 04:56 PM
Heat Pump question bizee Home Repair 4 July 5th 06 05:44 PM
heat pump question Jamie Home Repair 2 January 20th 06 04:17 AM
Heat pump question... Eric Home Repair 5 December 4th 05 05:01 AM
Zoned heat-pump and backup heat strip question Abe Home Repair 2 April 26th 05 01:54 AM