Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Honeywell UtilityPro Programmable thermostat problem

Sorry I missed the part about the furnace having been recently serviced
in the original post. ( And the oil part tells me that the OP is
probably nowhere near me). However, a limit switch opening would still
be my first WAG as to the cause of the problem. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
Sorry I missed the part about the furnace having been recently serviced
in the original post. ( And the oil part tells me that the OP is
probably nowhere near me). However, a limit switch opening would still
be my first WAG as to the cause of the problem. Larry

I don't really understand this part (which would explain why I'm not a
DIY-er!) but I'll mention it to the installer when they come to check on
it. I just have visions now of the electric company blaming the furnace,
and the furnace maintenance company saying it's the utility company's
problem...
Thanks for the info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Honeywell UtilityPro Programmable thermostat - Follow-up

Lee B wrote:

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
Sorry I missed the part about the furnace having been recently serviced
in the original post. ( And the oil part tells me that the OP is
probably nowhere near me). However, a limit switch opening would still
be my first WAG as to the cause of the problem. Larry

I don't really understand this part (which would explain why I'm not a
DIY-er!) but I'll mention it to the installer when they come to check on
it. I just have visions now of the electric company blaming the furnace,
and the furnace maintenance company saying it's the utility company's
problem...
Thanks for the info.

Just checking back in. First the utility company guy came and couldn't
find anything wrong with the thermostat. He did confirm it was wired
correctly. He couldn't explain the "wait" notation (which is supposedly
related to a compressor) other than saying the thermostat probably
hadn't been completely modified to handle oil heat. Which makes sense,
since I got this from the GAS and electric company. His only explanation
for why the entire unit would suddenly go dark was also the limit
switch. and then he left with a non-nonchalant "it's safe", and if there
is a problem the switch will turn it off.

So I finally got around to calling the furnace people. We'd had some
unseasonably warm weather and I'd just left the whole thing turned off.
This guy also tested and and confirmed it's wired correctly. He also
didn't think the "wait" message was a problem, because in order to
disable that, it would disable the wait for the A/C compressor. Hey
fine, as long as it's not causing a problem.

Then he made one discovery. Apparently the person from the company who
did the PM had put in too large a nozzle, at least according to the
specs that he found. He said that could allow the furnace to get too
hot. So he installed what should be the right sized one, and so far so
good. I don't know if it's had the wrong sized nozzle all along (or when
these are changed). So maybe it was a good thing that I got the new
thermostat that alerted me to the limit switch going off. Although I may
turn the whole thing off during the day until I've had one or two
problem free evenings....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lee B" wrote in message

Then he made one discovery. Apparently the person from the company who did
the PM had put in too large a nozzle, at least according to the specs that
he found. He said that could allow the furnace to get too hot. So he
installed what should be the right sized one, and so far so good. I don't
know if it's had the wrong sized nozzle all along (or when these are
changed). So maybe it was a good thing that I got the new thermostat that
alerted me to the limit switch going off. Although I may turn the whole
thing off during the day until I've had one or two problem free
evenings....

The burner is made to accommodate a range of sizes of nozzle. That changes
the rating of the burner so the same setup can be used in different houses
with different needs. If the nozzle is larger than what is needed for your
house, the burner will heat the firebox faster and it will shut down on the
high limit, cycling more than necessary. One particular model of Becket can
range from 56,000 to 420,000 Btu depending on the nozzle. It must be
mounted on the right fire box though.

The nozzle is usually changed at every service PM. If the service guy
happened to be out of the proper size, he may sub a larger one and not tell
you. A particular burner/heat exchanger combo may take from .85 to 1.25,
but if he puts in a 2.75, that is really overkill and dumb. Want to see
what they look like? Go here http://www.delavaninc.com/oilburner.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Lee B" wrote in message
[...]

Whatever the second guy did, it seems to have fixed the original
problems. No more having the screen on the thermostat go completely dark
(which totally freaked me out) and since I've turned it back on, I
haven't seen any more of the "wait" message. Or maybe I'm just more
comfortable now and not staring at it. Thanks for the explanation and
the picture.