Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central Heat & AC thermostat... weirdness

OK, this POS doublewide has straight electric hot air heat, A/C, but no
heat pump. (Coleman Evcon) Years ago when I first moved here I closed
off the ducts to almost 1/3 of the house (two bedrooms and a bath) that
are only used when I have guests. At the same time I set the fan motor
down one notch for each mode so there wouldn't be too much pressure and
I'd loose heat & A/C out of duct leaks.

When the thermostat called for heat, the fan would start immediately,
blowing cold air before it had a chance to get warm. It would run at
what I'll call medium (not high because I stepped it down a notch).
When the thermostat opened, the fan would slow down to low, and it would
run a little while until the heater cooled down a bit then it would stop.

The A/C would also run at medium, not on high. I liked it that way
because it wasn't enough to freeze the evaporator, but it did dehumidify
the air much better than on high.

So my thermostat got screwed up (worse than it was already) from me
trying to adjust it so 70 degrees is really 70 degrees. It was worse,
setting it at 75 degrees yielded a temp of about 70 degrees.

Today I installed a new 4 wire thermostat to replace the old 4 wire
thermostat (child's play). I first made sure the proper color wires
went to the proper terminals on the old one. Yes, that was correct. I
removed it and installed the new thermostat with the wires to the proper
terminals. (Yes I adjusted the heat anticipator to .3) Now when it
calls for heat, the fan doesn't run until the heating strips are getting
hot, so that blast of cold air isn't nearly as cold or as long as
before! Great! Wonderful!!! But how did this happen?

My only guess is that a temp sensor in the heater wasn't working and it
just so happened to start working now, using the heat for the first time
this season. I can't think of anything in the thermostat that could
have "fixed" this problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
[...]

Hi,
This is a normal behavior of 'stat. Yhink your old 'stat was bad.

My only guess is that a temp sensor in the heater wasn't working and it
just so happened to start working now, using the heat for the first time
this season. I can't think of anything in the thermostat that could
have "fixed" this problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

The fan should be controlled by a thermal device in the plenum so as not to
blow cold air. It appears to me, that the old stat sent power out on the
green terminal whenever it called for heat. This would cause the blower to
run immediately, but when the stat was satisfied, it killed power to the
heating elements and the "g" fan circuit, allowing the thermal device to
allow it to run in cool down mode, then go off. Don't you wish you changed
the stat 30 years ago

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, I can think of a difference. It's childs play, after
all, and it's so, so obvious.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM pretty much hit the nail on the head. Old stat was designed to bring
the blower relay on as soon as a call for heat was made, with the blower
on a/c speed. Meanwhile, one of the switches on the heat sequncers would
close to bring on the blower on heating speed, but it was out of the
circuit while the relay was energized. When the stat was satisfied, the
relay and power to the sequencers cut off, so the blower then dropped to
heating speed until the sequencers cut off.The sequencers bring the
strips and fan on and off with time delay (in sequence--hence the term
sequencer) Larry

thermostat - EM / Aux Heat Giles Harney Home Ownership 12 February 13th 08 01:06 AM
no heat..thermostat? sue Home Repair 7 October 26th 05 12:59 AM
Thermostat wiring for central air... [email protected] Home Ownership 4 June 16th 05 12:30 PM
Thermostat Q: What is auxiliary heat and emergency heat? [email protected] Home Repair 6 February 16th 05 02:40 PM
Central heating thermostat stevep UK diy 7 April 5th 04 11:50 AM