Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

Default thermostat - EM / Aux Heat

I have a heat pump that is controlled by a Honeywell CT3611 thermostat.
Previously the thermostat use to be one of those "analog" type tstats. The
"problem" I have with the Honeywell tstat is that it likes to kick on the
aux heat (resistance) frequently which really causes the electric meter to
spin. The previous thermostat would only use aux heat if I selected it. If I
raise the temp by just one degree on the Honeywell tstat it turns on the aux
heat. Is there a way to raise the trigger limit on the thermostat to tell it
not to call for aux heat for temperature differences less than 5 degrees?
Could I just disconnect the aux wire (and cap it) so as to prevent the aux /
resistance heat from switching on?

Thanks,
-Giles

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

gotta love it when the clueless go to a big box store and gets a new
thermostat.
You forgot to include a lot of basic information like where are you
located??
BTW...if you read the installer set-up directions, it will tell you what
parameters to change.

"Giles Harney" wrote in message
. ..
I have a heat pump that is controlled by a Honeywell CT3611 thermostat.
Previously the thermostat use to be one of those "analog" type tstats. The
"problem" I have with the Honeywell tstat is that it likes to kick on the
aux heat (resistance) frequently which really causes the electric meter to
spin. The previous thermostat would only use aux heat if I selected it. If
I raise the temp by just one degree on the Honeywell tstat it turns on the
aux heat. Is there a way to raise the trigger limit on the thermostat to
tell it not to call for aux heat for temperature differences less than 5
degrees? Could I just disconnect the aux wire (and cap it) so as to prevent
the aux / resistance heat from switching on?

Thanks,
-Giles

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
gotta love it when the clueless go to a big box store and gets a new
thermostat.
You forgot to include a lot of basic information like where are you
located??
BTW...if you read the installer set-up directions, it will tell you what
parameters to change.

I have and it doesnt. If you have something helpful to say in regards to my
question I am all ears.

No need to be unpleasant. It was a question posted to a discussion forum.

I hope you are having a good day.

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
gotta love it when the clueless go to a big box store and gets a new
thermostat.
You forgot to include a lot of basic information like where are you
located??
BTW...if you read the installer set-up directions, it will tell you what
parameters to change.

I have and it doesnt. If you have something helpful to say in regards to
my question I am all ears.

No need to be unpleasant. It was a question posted to a discussion forum.

I hope you are having a good day.

You *still* haven't told us where your located....there is a hell of a
difference between Barrow Alaska, and Miami, Florida. Yes that is important.

The parameters that you wish to change are in the installer programming
instructions.... oh, wait.... they don't always put those with the stats
from Lowes or Home Depot. maybe you should contact Honeywell? there is a
toll free number on the stat.....or does that actually make
sense.......nahhh...thats too easy....never mind.

BTW...I wasn't being unpleasant... but I can be if you want.

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
gotta love it when the clueless go to a big box store and gets a new
thermostat.
You forgot to include a lot of basic information like where are you
located??
BTW...if you read the installer set-up directions, it will tell you what
parameters to change.

I have and it doesnt. If you have something helpful to say in regards to
my question I am all ears.

No need to be unpleasant. It was a question posted to a discussion forum.

I hope you are having a good day.

You *still* haven't told us where your located....there is a hell of a
difference between Barrow Alaska, and Miami, Florida. Yes that is
important.

Maryland

The parameters that you wish to change are in the installer programming
instructions.... oh, wait.... they don't always put those with the stats

i could not find them in the instructions that came with it.

BTW...I wasn't being unpleasant...

calling people names is being unpleasant.

but I can be if you want.

thats childish. unless i am into S&M why would I want somebody to be
unpleasant towards me?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Giles Harney wrote:
I have a heat pump that is controlled by a Honeywell CT3611 thermostat.
Previously the thermostat use to be one of those "analog" type tstats. The
"problem" I have with the Honeywell tstat is that it likes to kick on the
aux heat (resistance) frequently which really causes the electric meter to
spin. The previous thermostat would only use aux heat if I selected it. If I
raise the temp by just one degree on the Honeywell tstat it turns on the aux
heat. Is there a way to raise the trigger limit on the thermostat to tell it
not to call for aux heat for temperature differences less than 5 degrees?
Could I just disconnect the aux wire (and cap it) so as to prevent the aux /
resistance heat from switching on?

Thanks,
-Giles

delete cross-post to you-know-where

Get the .pdf he
http://customer.honeywell.com/request.cfm?form=69-1081
(I haven't opened it to see if it gives any helpful info...)

Disconnect the AUX wire as you suggested, or even put a
toggle switch in the circuit if you might ever need it.

Jim
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

Get the .pdf he
http://customer.honeywell.com/request.cfm?form=69-1081
(I haven't opened it to see if it gives any helpful info...)

Disconnect the AUX wire as you suggested, or even put a
toggle switch in the circuit if you might ever need it.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Yeah, the PDF is same as the instruction that I have with the
tstat.

Thanks again!
-Giles

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

"Giles Harney" wrote in message
. ..
I have a heat pump that is controlled by a Honeywell CT3611 thermostat.
Previously the thermostat use to be one of those "analog" type tstats. The
"problem" I have with the Honeywell tstat is that it likes to kick on the
aux heat (resistance) frequently which really causes the electric meter to
spin. The previous thermostat would only use aux heat if I selected it. If
I raise the temp by just one degree on the Honeywell tstat it turns on the
aux heat. Is there a way to raise the trigger limit on the thermostat to
tell it not to call for aux heat for temperature differences less than 5
degrees? Could I just disconnect the aux wire (and cap it) so as to prevent
the aux / resistance heat from switching on?
Thanks,
-Giles

Did you go through the setup program after you installed it???

http://www.gogeisel.com/geiselonline...ell/CT3611.pdf

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

[...]

Of course. There are no parameters to adjust the deadbands mentioned in the
manual / instructions.

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

[...]

****ing **** poor stat then better IMO is the tried and true chrono III with
an added ext reset for aux but if ya really wanna go post-modern then buy a
T86** level IV and go with the outdoors ambient sensor option.

HTH

--

The Great Lebowski

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

"Giles Harney" wrote

Of course. There are no parameters to adjust the deadbands mentioned in
the manual / instructions.

Yeah sorry about that. I guess it's true what another poster posted:

You don't get the same manuals with the "big box" purchase. There is usually
an installers manual.

BTW, that t'stat is no longer made....

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

[...]

How long have you had the stat?

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

"Mo Hoaner" wrote in message
. ..

How long have you had the stat?

approx 2 years

switch from heat to a/c on thermostat ap Home Repair 2 November 10th 05 07:15 PM
no heat..thermostat? sue Home Repair 7 October 26th 05 12:59 AM
Thermostat Q: What is auxiliary heat and emergency heat? [email protected] Home Repair 6 February 16th 05 02:40 PM
replaced thermostat - Em/AUX heat always on Giles Harney Home Ownership 1 December 22nd 04 08:42 PM
Heat pump thermostat question Michael Baugh Home Repair 6 January 26th 04 07:50 AM