Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing an azalea bush with yellowjackets

My front yard has (had) 2 azalea bushes beside of a Juniper tree, and
while they looked good when I first moved here, they've grown into a
mess. So, I thought it would be good to remove the azalea bushes and
replace them with something smaller.

What I did NOT know, though, was that one of them has a yellow jackets
nest, either in the bush, or in a hole beneath it! I found this out
the hard way.

So, I have a 2-part question:

1. How can I get rid of yellow jackets without actually seeing the
next? I know that I can wait until winter for them to die out on their
own, but if I wait then I won't be able to put in other plants to
replace the bush. And of course, I don't exactly want to be working on
getting rid of this bush when it's 30 degrees outside! LOL

2. Is there an easier / better way to remove an azalea bush, other
than hitting each limb with a saw and then digging out the root? I've
already removed one, but that took about 4 hours!

TIA,

Jason
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 13:53:16 -0700 (PDT), Jason Carlton
wrote:

[...]

A truck, using a chain/tow-strap wrapped around the base of the bush.
Rip is out of the ground. Beats 4 hours work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 1:53*pm, Jason Carlton wrote:
[...]

Look for a while and see if you can locate the nest. Apply Sevin
dust.

If you really can't figure out where they are, you can set out a
number of bait stations in the vicinity that are dusted or mixed with
Sevin. I'd try different bait types, including solid and liquid food
stuffs, but if you can get them to walk over dry Sevin, they'll be
more likely to bring it back to their nest and spread it.

Removing the plant just takes patience. If you don't have heavy
equipment, you can attack the roots with a digging bar or a maul.
Leave some stump so you can pull on it with a rope.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 6ec5c9fa-48a0-43d3-b795-e14a664cf6d8
@e8g2000yqo.googlegroups.com on Fri, 2 Oct 2009 13:53:16 -0700 (PDT),
Jason Carlton wrote:

1. How can I get rid of yellow jackets without actually seeing the
next? I know that I can wait until winter for them to die out on their
own, but if I wait then I won't be able to put in other plants to
replace the bush. And of course, I don't exactly want to be working on
getting rid of this bush when it's 30 degrees outside! LOL

If they really are yellow jackets, they almost certainly are living in
the ground under the bush. Try watching carefully, in the warmest part
of the day, and you can probably see where they are entering and
exiting.

Unless you're really sure what you're doing, and are definitely not
allergic to yellow jacket stings, I'd leave nest removal to a
professional. A yellow jacket nest, especially this time of year, could
have *thousands* of yellow jackets inside.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jason Carlton wrote:
[...]

if you can find the nest entrance hole use a long pole to mark its
location in the daylight.

then gpo back at night with NO!!! flashlkight or external light
source, carry a bucket with a decent amount of gasoline, dump quickly
down hole and leave area.

do not ignite gasoline its completely unnecessary

this kills the nest fast although expect straglers that werent back to
malinger around the area for aty least a week.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jason Carlton wrote:
[...]

Didn't we just beat this 'cure' to death on here a few weeks ago? Using
gas on bee nests is dangerous (especially if you are on a well) and
usually illegal. Mark the hole with a stick, and go out after dusk with
one of those puff dispensers of Sevin, or similar, and dose it. Do it
2-3 nights in a row, and they will die or move on.

Only trouble I have is, whenever I kill a nest, within 2-3 days a skunk
(or something) digs it up for the honey, and leaves a huge hole, and
bits of comb laying around.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have moved a Japaneses Lilac and MANY shrubs this way with great
results..Not one died...As far as the Yellow Jackets go use the Sevin
dust....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jason Carlton wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

I went to Lowes tonight and found Sevin dust, but it didn't mention
wasps or yellow jackets as a pest that it would affect. Are there
different versions? The one I saw said "kills up to 100 types of
insects", and it was around $7 for a small container.

FWIW, aem, I don't think that yellow jackets make honey. They're a
type of wasp (I just learned that myself), so they don't even really
help with flower pollination. I wonder if the dead bees will attract
moles, though? They've been a real problem here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jason Carlton wrote:
[...]

Common-use names and actual species often vary. Around here,
honey-producing ground-nesting bees are often called yellow jackets,
wasps, sweat bees, whatever. All I know, and care about, is if they
attack me when I mow the lawn, I want them dead or elsewhere. Plenty of
isolated woods and meadows within a 1 mile circle, so not like I am
putting the local population at risk or anything. And the pink powder in
the puff can that the Farm Bureau Coop store sold me works, even if it
doesn't have the Sevin brand name on it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
A truck, using a chain/tow-strap wrapped around the base of the bush.
Rip is out of the ground. Beats 4 hours work.

I asked my neighbor to remove some bushes that way. I paid him a few buck,
but I think he'd have paid me just for the fun of doing it.