Posted to alt.home.repair

Default To Pump or Not to Pump

dadiOH wrote:

We are about like you (two people). I had our 1000 gallon tank pumped after
7 years. It was a waste of money, only 5-10 gallons of sludge. I made a
note to have it pumped in another 10 years but I'll probably wait at least
15, maybe 20. Maybe never.

The house I grew up in was built around 1899. It was/is a huge house
that had, until recently, 4 to 12 people living in it. The septic tank
was never touched for 100 years. After 100 years, the township put a
sewer line through and we had to hook up to the municipal sewer.

--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors ====== Government Motors!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:59�pm, Jack Stein wrote:

The house I grew up in was built around 1899. �It was/is a huge house
that had, until recently, 4 to 12 people living in it. �The septic tank
was never touched for 100 years. �After 100 years, the township put a
sewer line through and we had to hook up to the municipal sewer.

--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors ====== Government Motors!http://jbstein.com

Hey Jack! What are you doing here? Still hang out in RSB?

Hank ~~~~pool player wannbe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
On Oct 1, 12:59�pm, Jack Stein wrote:

The house I grew up in was built around 1899. �It was/is a huge house
that had, until recently, 4 to 12 people living in it. �The septic tank
was never touched for 100 years. �After 100 years, the township put a
sewer line through and we had to hook up to the municipal sewer.

--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors ====== Government Motors!

Hey Jack! What are you doing here? Still hang out in RSB?

Hi Hank. Still in RSB, but not shooting as much.

Hank ~~~~pool player wannbe

Ain't we all?
--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 01 Oct 2009 09:59:48a, Jack Stein told us...

dadiOH wrote:

We are about like you (two people). I had our 1000 gallon tank pumped
after 7 years. It was a waste of money, only 5-10 gallons of sludge.
I made a note to have it pumped in another 10 years but I'll probably
wait at least 15, maybe 20. Maybe never.

The house I grew up in was built around 1899. It was/is a huge house
that had, until recently, 4 to 12 people living in it. The septic tank
was never touched for 100 years. After 100 years, the township put a
sewer line through and we had to hook up to the municipal sewer.

Thanks, Jack. That's certainly a strong recommendation.

Not a recommendation Wayne, more like a "it depends":-)

My dad told me the guy that built the house told him he would never have
to touch the septic tank, and he was right. I also know of people that
have to have tanks pumped out on a regular basis. 100 years is probably
unusual, but I have no experience in the field other than our house. I
guess if it's done right, and large enough, it should need little or no
maintenance over a lifetime.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
http://jbstein.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
Hustlin' Hank wrote:
On Oct 1, 12:59?pm, Jack Stein wrote:

The house I grew up in was built around 1899. ?It was/is a huge house
that had, until recently, 4 to 12 people living in it. ?The septic tank
was never touched for 100 years. ?After 100 years, the township put a
sewer line through and we had to hook up to the municipal sewer.

My house was built nearly 200 years ago, but the current septic system is
from the 1950s. When I bought the place in 1985 I was told to have it pumped
every 5 years. I had it pumped in 1990 and the guy said I could probably
wait 10 the next time, since there are only two of us. I had it pumped again
in 2000, and was told not to bother again until 2015. That's the current
plan.

However, since it only costs $99 to have it pumped it's certainly not
prohibitively expensive to have it done every 10 years or so.