Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice on installing sliding door closet

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:35:09 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

I am framing out an opening for a sliding closet door in my basement
and had a 2 questions:

1) The sliding door track kit says the height should be 1 3/4" more
than the door, which means 81 3/4". Does that take into account enough
space on the bottom of the door so it doesn't hit the floor? Or am I
suppose to add 1/2" or so on top of the 81 3/4".

2) The closet doors is adjacent to a sheetrock wall. Can the door
just close up against the sheetrock wall, or is there suppose to be
something like a 2X4 or door jamb on the side of the frame? What is
usually done on the sides?

Ypou are talking a pocket door? Follow the instructions - the
clearance is provided for, and GENERALLY tou would frame out the door
like any other so the door closes against wood.
Any I've installed have been done that way

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ypou are talking a pocket door? Follow the instructions - the
clearance is provided for, and GENERALLY tou would frame out the door
like any other so the door closes against wood.
Any I've installed have been done that way

Its not a pocket door, just a standard sliding closet door. The width
is about 63", so I will use 2-32" hollow luan doors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok, I think I got it now. I should just frame like a regular door with
4 9/16" wide door jambs on the sides so I can put molding around. I'll
keep it about 2 1/2" away from the wall for molding. Thanks for the
inputs.