Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Inground water valve

Many years back my father installed a back yard spigot near his garden.
The shut off valve sits below the frost level covered by a cast iron
sleeve.

This valve hasn't been operated for years. Part of me would like to
begin using it. The other part says forget it as it will likely be too
corroded by now and break instead. Since several weeks still exist
before serious cold arrives what would you suggest?

Another valve exists in the house feeding the line to the back yard.
That line also consists of a spigot on the exterior basement wall of the
house. Past techniques were to shut off the inside valve, open both
exterior spigots, then blow some air through the line to allow expansion
of any remaining water.

Other suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
Many years back my father installed a back yard spigot near his garden.
The shut off valve sits below the frost level covered by a cast iron
sleeve.

This valve hasn't been operated for years. Part of me would like to
begin using it. The other part says forget it as it will likely be too
corroded by now and break instead. Since several weeks still exist
before serious cold arrives what would you suggest?

Another valve exists in the house feeding the line to the back yard.
That line also consists of a spigot on the exterior basement wall of the
house. Past techniques were to shut off the inside valve, open both
exterior spigots, then blow some air through the line to allow expansion
of any remaining water.

Other suggestions?

You are probably correct that if the outside valve hasn't been used in
years, it is probably not going to function well. If the inside cutoff is
in good shape, you are probably safe in giving it a try. Worst case is you
close the inside valve and either abandon the outside spigot or dig it up
and replace it.

But if the inside valve is also suspect, I'd not mess with it unless you are
ready to make any necessary repairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 6:05*pm, "Mark" wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

ready to make any necessary repairs.- Hide quoted text -

Start with locating and using the shut-off for the whole house. That
way no matter what else happens, you can preventt a flood and a large
water bill. Once you are sure that it is working reliably, then check
the shutoff closest to the house, then once that is working, move on
to the garden shutoff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 9:35*pm, "hr(bob) "