Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Turning white concrete into gray

A contractor installed a cellar door for me recently and used white
concrete/cement to bed it in. This contrasts badly with the
surrounding normal (gray) concrete apron so I'd like to change the
color obviously without pulling it up or waiting 20 years for it to
age naturally.

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are concrete stains available. You might consider staining
the entire area.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
A contractor installed a cellar door for me recently and used
white
concrete/cement to bed it in. This contrasts badly with the
surrounding normal (gray) concrete apron so I'd like to change
the
color obviously without pulling it up or waiting 20 years for it
age naturally.

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 9:56*pm, wrote:
A contractor installed a cellar door for me recently and used white
concrete/cement to bed it in. This contrasts badly with the
surrounding normal (gray) concrete apron so I'd like to change the
color obviously without pulling it up or waiting 20 years for it to
age naturally.

Any suggestions?

Since you say cellar the old is dirty and moldy, you could clean the
old easily, laundry bleach will kill mold in minutes, I use a garden
sprayer. You could then powerwash the old and use Muiatic acid if you
want it real new but bleach often works. If it still doesnt match rub
dirt in the new. What he put in is grey with grey portland, White
Portland and White sand and gravel would be expensive and made on site
by component.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

On Sep 3, 9:56*pm, wrote:
A contractor installed a cellar door for me recently and used white
concrete/cement to bed it in. This contrasts badly with the
surrounding normal (gray) concrete apron so I'd like to change the
color obviously without pulling it up or waiting 20 years for it to
age naturally.

Any suggestions?

Since you say cellar the old is dirty and moldy, you could clean the
old easily, laundry bleach will kill mold in minutes, I use a garden
sprayer. You could then powerwash the old and use Muiatic acid if you
want it real new but bleach often works.

Just because I use the word "cellar" it does NOT mean dirty and moldy!
The cellar door opens into the front concrete courtyard made from some
100 year old cement product which appears to be gray or at least
regular concrete color. It's quite clean and has no mold.

If it still doesnt match rub
dirt in the new.

You must be joking!

What he put in is grey with grey portland, White
Portland and White sand and gravel would be expensive and made on site
by component.

I don't think so. Have a look at:

http://www.sakrete.com/products/prod...oncretePatcher

The second variety is white. I'm sure there are other white ready
mixes too. Lowes sell a white masonry cement by TXI.

Dyeing it looks more viable. There's a sakrete charcoal cement color.

This is an example of how you have to watch contractors like a hawk.
If it can be screwed up, they'll do it.