Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Wood Subfloor On Concrete

I have a vinyl on wood underlay over concrete floor that has to come
out down to the concrete due to water damage. Not sure how thick the
underlay is yet, but it looks like at least two layers of plywood/
pressboard/???

Any tips on this job? Vinyl removal seems straight forward enough but
the wood part has me thinking. Current plan is to put an old blade in
the skilsaw, set it to a bit less than guesstimated wood thickness,
cut into squares and start prying.

While googling, I found a couple of references to using a sawzall to
cut out subfloor. They must be talking about wood over joists,
right?

TIA,
Red
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 2, 8:25*pm, red wrote:
I have a vinyl on wood underlay over concrete floor that has to come
out down to the concrete due to water damage. *Not sure how thick the
underlay is yet, but it looks like at least two layers of plywood/
pressboard/???

Any tips on this job? *Vinyl removal seems straight forward enough but
the wood part has me thinking. *Current plan is to put an old blade in
the skilsaw, set it to a bit less than guesstimated wood thickness,
cut into squares and start prying.

That will probably work just fine. Consider a Harbor Freight 67256
multitool for scraping any crap stuck to the concrete. Some folks use
a jig saw with a shortened blade for cutting close to corners or areas
where a circular saw won't go.

While googling, I found a couple of references to using a sawzall to
cut out subfloor. *They must be talking about wood over joists,
right?

Right.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 18:25:19 -0700 (PDT), red
wrote:

I have a vinyl on wood underlay over concrete floor that has to come
out down to the concrete due to water damage. Not sure how thick the
underlay is yet, but it looks like at least two layers of plywood/
pressboard/???

Any tips on this job? Vinyl removal seems straight forward enough but
the wood part has me thinking. Current plan is to put an old blade in
the skilsaw, set it to a bit less than guesstimated wood thickness,
cut into squares and start prying.

See if a local rental store has a "5' Pneumatic Long Reach Scraper"

Sometimes called a "Pogo-Stick". Looks likes this:

http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=160&uid=709589598

While googling, I found a couple of references to using a sawzall to
cut out subfloor. They must be talking about wood over joists,
right?

TIA,
Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 9:25*pm, red wrote:
I have a vinyl on wood underlay over concrete floor that has to come
out down to the concrete due to water damage. *Not sure how thick the
underlay is yet, but it looks like at least two layers of plywood/
pressboard/???

Any tips on this job? *Vinyl removal seems straight forward enough but
the wood part has me thinking. *Current plan is to put an old blade in
the skilsaw, set it to a bit less than guesstimated wood thickness,
cut into squares and start prying.

While googling, I found a couple of references to using a sawzall to
cut out subfloor. *They must be talking about wood over joists,
right?

TIA,
Red

"They must be talking about wood over joists, right?"

One way to find out!

P.S. If you try it, put it on YouTube. It might be fun to watch. g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 9:25*pm, red wrote:
I have a vinyl on wood underlay over concrete floor that has to come
out down to the concrete due to water damage. *Not sure how thick the
underlay is yet, but it looks like at least two layers of plywood/
pressboard/???

Any tips on this job? *Vinyl removal seems straight forward enough but
the wood part has me thinking. *Current plan is to put an old blade in
the skilsaw, set it to a bit less than guesstimated wood thickness,
cut into squares and start prying.

While googling, I found a couple of references to using a sawzall to
cut out subfloor. *They must be talking about wood over joists,
right?

TIA,
Red

Have you taken any vinyl off yet to see if you could tell how the
subfloor is attached?

I'm not sure if that would help you make a decision on how to proceed,
but at least you'd have some idea as to what's going on.

I'd want to be d*mn sure it wasn't some kind of raised floor with
pipes underneath before I took a saw to it. Odds are it's not, but
stranger things have been found.