Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

In article m,
kens says...
Well, I don't personally hate him. Don't even know the guy.

But that's the title of the latest piece by one of my favorite
columnists in the /Berkeley Daily Planet/, Matt Cantor, local owner of a
home-inspection business who writes a weekly column on home repair and
maintenance.

Here's a sample:

I do genuinely hate these specific shows: "Hometime," "This Old House"
and "The New Yankee Workshop." I hate them for one simple reason: they
make most people feel like idiots. Even if a show only demonstrates how
to build a basic chest of drawers, it does a lousy job of preparing the
average Joe or Joan for the task. In the end, the show provides nothing
more than boutique shopping and showing off. I suppose that would be a
lot of fun if you only want to learn that you?as a homeowner or stock
broker or bank clerk?know nothing about houses or furniture or nails and
that you?ll never stand a chance of doing more than hanging a picture on
the wall.

On shows like these, the jobs are made to look so darned easy. All the
materials are waiting for assembly and nothing is spoiled, the wrong
type or missing. The air gun never misfires and the compressor never
needs to be drained (yes, you have to drain compressors daily because
they fill up with water and will rust out if you don?t do so). That?s
another thing I hate: in actuality, there are many small details that
fill a contractor?s day (or your day when you play contractor) but
they?re neatly edited out, just as they are in a cooking show. Just pop
the raw one in the oven and Voila, the new freshly baked one comes right
out of the other oven.

(See article at
http://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue.../article/33531)

It sounds like your favorite columnist is hurting for
things to write about. Does he seriously want Norm to
stop the show to drain the compressor?

Sincerely,

Bradley Nailer

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Aug 31, 10:42*pm, samson wrote:
In article m,
[...]

Norm could quickly read off a laundry list, some of the items being:

Wear nitrile gloves when using yukkie stuff.
Drain your compressor.
Safety glasses often aren't enough. Wear Goggles.
Do NOT use a hair-dryer in the bath tub.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Norm could quickly read off a laundry list, some of the items being:

Or he could suggest a section to view on his website that contains safety
suggestions and run of the mill stuff that users should view on occasion.
Stuff that would eat up valuable TV time if he went through it every time on
his show.