Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Repair Gaps in Entrance Step?

I have a small step right outside of the side entrance of my house.
Its top side is constructed with a flat square-shaped concrete in the
center, and pieces of stone in three sides of the concrete center. In
other words, the entrance step has stones to form its three edges to
have a finish look. It was fine until after last winter when it
starts developing a slight gap between the concrete center and each of
the stone. Moreover, the masonry in the butt-joint of two stones was
completely crumpled. I need to find a way to stablize the situation.

I don't want to completely remove the stones and put them back. The
reason is that the stones are still solidly attached to the step. I
don't see them falling away any time soon. But I am afraid that the
situation may get worse if I don't fix it; especially I am afraid that
water will follow the gap into the under side of the stones, and will
become ice up during the winter and loosen the stones. I need to find
a way to seal the small gaps (like 1/16") between the concrete center
and the stones, and the large gap (like 3/4") between stones.

I figure that I can clean up the large gap and fill the large gap with
masonry. What kind of masonry is good for this? By the way my house
was built in 1950's.

I don't have any good idea of filling up the small gap. The gap is so
small that I doubt I can put any masonry into it. Should I try
leveling compound? But leveling compound is very expensive (I get
some left but it is for indoor use). Should I try a bottle of gap
filler that is for concrete driveway?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Jay Chan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 1:04�pm, Jay Chan wrote:
[...]

Not seeing a picture, I am guessing. I have used masonry reoair
aulk. It is available at Menard's, Lowes and such
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

Do a Google search for epoxy concrete repair products or similar.
There are construction grade epoxies that will nicely fill small and
large cracks with ease. They work on highways, so your steps ought to
be easy. If the price seems a bit high, be brave and buy it anyway.
Replacing your steps will be far more expensive. And don't put salt
based deicers on your steps. That is certain doom for them.

Joe