Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2 Paint questions

Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x 12
ft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2009 2:10 PM desgnr spake thus:

Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

You'll get as many answers as responses to a question like that.

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x 12
ft.

Depends; where are you? UK? US? Northeast? Southwest? Professional
painter? Handyman?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x 12
ft.

None are truly 1 coat.

$472.15.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 4:10*pm, "desgnr" wrote:
Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x 12
ft.

The most expensive, probably the 60$ a gallon B Moore Aura, How much
to paint a room, thats like asking how much is a car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x 12
ft.

Behr from Home Depot

Painter cost depends on your location and if you want a real pro.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x
12 ft.

Behr from Home Depot

Painter cost depends on your location and if you want a real pro.

Rarely if ever does one coat cover well enough no matter the paint brand ,
especially if there is ANY color difference or touch ups to repair holes ,
dings and dents in the drywall...Any good pro will probably tell you the
same thing...2 coats...Labor varies by region BUT there are alot of
unemployed painters right now so a good deal and a good job is likely if you
ASK around and not just call the one with the biggest Yellow Pages ad...Then
there's always the hack down the street that will do it cheap in one coat ,
do it and then you will be on here complaining that it looks like crap and
asking what to do about it...You tend to get what you pay for......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in
:

Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say
15x 12 ft.

Well there's the crack head painting a roach motel rental unit

- and there's -

Historic landmark quality where even the color is custom made and approved
by historians.

Probably at least a hundred bucks between the two :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote

Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

There are many variables here but without knowing more, this is almost
impossible to answer.

If you are basically refreshing to same color paint (not changing colors),
most medium grade paints will work ok if you didnt have to patch walls so
have alot of spackle to cover, or crayon marks to cover etc. (with crayon,
you have to remove as much as possible and use a base coat primer to prevent
bleed through later). For any color change, except perhaps eggshell over
dingy white, you will probably need a primer coat.

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x 12
ft.

Area dependant. Also depends highly on how much you are willing and capable
of doing first.

In my Norfolk VA area, USA, about 25$ an hour excluding ceiling work (that
is a bit more). If I move everything out of the room and pre-tape it all
(any my pre-taping meets or exceeds their standards) and agree that I take
the tape down and do the cleanup including any touchups if the tape caused
imperfections, the rate would go up but the overall cost would be less.
Reason is if the job is too short, they have to charge more per hour to make
the trip profitable. I would go with 2 rooms instead and get the 25$ rate
for 6 hours. This is besides the cost of materials and paint. Call it
about 225$ with materials? With them doing the taping and removal, add
about 1 hour labor, more if you have lots of fancy stuff like a fireplace to
protect.

If you do not know what you are doing, let *them* tape it!!! If you try and
it's not perfect, they will charge you to remove your taping job and reapply
their own. There's a skill required to do that part 'right' and believe me,
they can do it faster than you can.

So you see, too many variables to really answer. At least I can show how
the hours and labor tend to work out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 4:10*pm, "desgnr" wrote:
Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x 12
ft.

To really know subscribe to consumer reports, they have ongoing yearly
paint tests.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Both Behr and BennyMoore have a paint that will cover in one coat. Very
expensive.

We are in Arizona and we would charge about $300 plus materials for the
average room that size. There are many variables that could affect my
estimate one way or the other.

cm

"desgnr" wrote in message
Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x 12
ft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x 12
ft.

I've never found a paint that covers well in one coat. There is a lot
to be known about your plan that would help to guide you, such as:

Which room? I like alkyd ("oil based") semi-gloss paint for kitchen and
bath because it is durable and easier to clean. In all rooms, I use it
for trim and doors because latex scratches/dings too easily and is
impossible to sand when repainting.

Any new surfaces or damage? Need to prime new wood and drywall, special
latex primers for new drywall.

Dark colors to cover with light? Probably require more coats.

Smoke or oily stains? Even after thorough cleaning, stain-blocking
primer (any good name brand) to isolate stains so they don't bleed through.

Clean wall with light color flat paint? Paint it with good brand of
flat water-based paint. If you are covering a light color with a very
deep red or blue, you likely will need more coats and the instructions
for the color will advise same.

Wall or trim with glossy enamel? CLEAN, sand lightly to de-gloss,
PRIME, and use alkyd semi. Gloss paint is very difficult for a newby to
use and get a decent, smooth finish.

Always wash and dry surfaces well, vacuum sanding dust. Pay special
attention to areas that get fingerprints, such as door edges and around
wall switches.

I always use name-brand paint stores, and they have always had
experienced, knowledgeable staff to answer questions.

Look at paint and check prices for supplies (GOOD brushes and rollers)
and read some instructions on paint co. websites so you know what you
want before contacting contractors for bids.

Our living and dining rooms were painted by a contractor in 2001,
roughly twice the size of your room and incl. trim and louvered doors.
About $400, Florida. A wild guess, with folks short of work and you
purchasing materials,would be $200.
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr | 2009-08-29 | 4:10:18 PM wrote:

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say
15x 12 ft.

I usually charge $1.25 per square foot for labor on an easy job. That's
wall width times height, not taking out doors and windows--gotta cut in
around all that trim, ya know.

If you have lots of junk you want me to move, lots of nail holes to
fill, or visibly dirty walls, I raise the price to cover all the extra
work.

So my rate would be:
((12x8x2) + (15x8x2)) x $1.25 = $540.00

A gallon of good paint will add about $30.00.

If you don't like those numbers, I'll work for $40 per hour. At that
rate, sometimes you come out ahead, sometimes I do.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:59:44 -0400, LouB wrote:

desgnr wrote:
Which interior paint is best for 1 coat coverage ?

What do think a Painter would charge to paint an average room ? Say 15x 12
ft.

Behr from Home Depot

I totally disagree.

Painter cost depends on your location and if you want a real pro.

I totally agree.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:40:29 -0400, "benick"
wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
[...]

Benick is totally right in my experience. Two coats is the way to go,
and it doesn't take that much extra time. I always do two coats after
seeing the half-assed results throughout my house of the previous
owner's time/$$ saving efforts to do just one coat, and the walls look
immensely better. Also, you really do get what you pay for, both for
materials and labor. I do my own painting, and for the first floor
walls that the world sees, I go with the good stuff, like Benjamin
Moore, Sherwin Williams, Muralo. I also have gotten very satisfactory
results from Lowe's Valspar line (and I avoid Behr from Home Depot) in
cases where I didn't want to spend so much on the paint.

Paint questions engwar Home Repair 8 May 26th 09 06:57 PM
Tile paint questions Broadback UK diy 2 September 25th 07 12:09 PM
Paint Questions: Oil/Latex ? Robert11 Home Repair 5 April 3rd 07 01:32 AM
Lacquer vs paint questions [email protected] Woodworking 2 December 28th 05 03:40 PM
Paint questions Dee Home Repair 4 September 13th 04 11:18 AM