Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

-MIKE- wrote:

benick wrote:
When I built my first house, I subbed out the drywall and always use
the excuse, "Because I want to sell the place."

-MIKE-

Smart move...There ain't no hiding a bad drywall job...It is right out
there in plain view and the first thing seen....First impressions are
everything.....

The reason for hiring it out is what I call the "Benefit: Bull$h!t Ratio."
It's the amount of crap one has to deal with in doing a task himself
compared to the benefit attained from the same.

The B:B ratio is simply to low to be worth it. Like I said before, you
have to do drywall and keep doing it to be good at it. Framing, and most
of the rest, is like riding a bike to me.

I put roofing in the "too low B:B ratio" category, as well, and not
because it takes any real skill. In my experience, roofing is one of the
cheapest things to hire out. Plus they're in and out in a day and I'm
dry. Or I can be up there for a three days in 98 degree heat. Hmmm. :-)

Yes, for me, cosmetic items like taping drywall and painting have a poor
B:B ratio since they both require technique that needs constant practice
to get a flawless finish. Framing, wiring and plumbing aren't cosmetic
and require knowledge to do properly, not much in the way of technique
per se.