Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help! Can't remove old shower door

Hi all,

I'm trying to remove my old shower door (and install a new one).

The problem I have so far is removing the old side rails. I removed
the head rail and the door panels. But the left/right wall rails
stuck tight to the tile enclosure, even though I backed out all the
wall screws and cut the visible caulk along the inside and outside
edges.

I tried using a small putty knife to cut the caulk (and grout?), but
no luck cutting or prying. Someone suggested using a Rockwell
Oscillating tool. But I have no experience with it and am worried
about cracking the tiles.

Does anyone has any suggestions for me?

Thanks a lot!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Surfingbull" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm trying to remove my old shower door (and install a new one).

The problem I have so far is removing the old side rails. I removed
the head rail and the door panels. But the left/right wall rails
stuck tight to the tile enclosure, even though I backed out all the
wall screws and cut the visible caulk along the inside and outside
edges.

I tried using a small putty knife to cut the caulk (and grout?), but
no luck cutting or prying. Someone suggested using a Rockwell
Oscillating tool. But I have no experience with it and am worried
about cracking the tiles.

Does anyone has any suggestions for me?

Thanks a lot!!!

I think I would try to make a wooden wedge and tap it in from the top. You
might also try a heat gun to see if you can soften the caulk a bit. Once
you get the wedge in a bit from the top, you might try and use a piece of
thin piano wire to slide behind the rail to cut the rest of the caulk.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:30:26 -0700 (PDT), Surfingbull
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to remove my old shower door (and install a new one).

The problem I have so far is removing the old side rails. I removed
the head rail and the door panels. But the left/right wall rails
stuck tight to the tile enclosure, even though I backed out all the
wall screws and cut the visible caulk along the inside and outside
edges.

I tried using a small putty knife to cut the caulk (and grout?), but
no luck cutting or prying. Someone suggested using a Rockwell
Oscillating tool. But I have no experience with it and am worried
about cracking the tiles.

Does anyone has any suggestions for me?

Thanks a lot!!!

That tool is expensive. A 1 x 12" cake spatula ($ store) behind the
rail. There most likely is a bead of caulk behind the rail and you
only cut part of it. Use the spatula from the top of the rail and
peel it off the wall a little at a time. Both hands and strip
downward.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in
:

"Surfingbull" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

http://images.lowes.com/product/026665/026665023161.jpg
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...316&lpage=none

Within your improvising, consider one of these utility knives that I've
found helpful at times. By extending the break-off blade all the way you
end up with a very long razor blade that is thin. The blade is made to
snap if bent beyond a point which may not be good in your case.

Just a thought...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Surfingbull wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to remove my old shower door (and install a new one).

The problem I have so far is removing the old side rails. I removed
the head rail and the door panels. But the left/right wall rails
stuck tight to the tile enclosure, even though I backed out all the
wall screws and cut the visible caulk along the inside and outside
edges.

I tried using a small putty knife to cut the caulk (and grout?), but
no luck cutting or prying. Someone suggested using a Rockwell
Oscillating tool. But I have no experience with it and am worried
about cracking the tiles.

Does anyone has any suggestions for me?

Thanks a lot!!!

Yes. Use the Harbor Freight oscillating tool. On sale this week for $34.95!

I can't see how the tool would crack the tile - it doesn't work like that.
Go to the Harbor Freight website (or Rockwell or Fein or Dremel) and watch
the video.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 8:42*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Surfingbull wrote:
[...]

the video.- Hide quoted text -

I agree. Surprisingly good quality tool from Harbor Freight.

It has already proved very useful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Surfingbull wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to remove my old shower door (and install a new one).

The problem I have so far is removing the old side rails. I removed
the head rail and the door panels. But the left/right wall rails
stuck tight to the tile enclosure, even though I backed out all the
wall screws and cut the visible caulk along the inside and outside
edges.

I tried using a small putty knife to cut the caulk (and grout?), but
no luck cutting or prying. Someone suggested using a Rockwell
Oscillating tool. But I have no experience with it and am worried
about cracking the tiles.

Does anyone has any suggestions for me?

Thanks a lot!!!

I would start by trying to get something with a sharp edge under the
rail at one end. Once there is enough room, work in a putty knife to
pry it slowly - I would guess that there is caulk adhering the rail to
the tile, but on the chance that some epoxy was used I would be very
careful not to exert force too quickly. Push the putty knife in flat,
so you aren't leveraging onto the tile. Once the end is free, you might
be able to then pull it free. If you can't pull it, just work by
tapping the putty knife down the back of the rail - might scratch tile,
or crack it, esp. if there is dead space behind any tiles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pampered Chef has a tool that is really cheap that will help here. It is
called a Nylon Pan Scraper item #2610 an is $2.75 for a set of 3. I sell
Pamper Chef and this is actually my favorite item. It will also be good
for when you need to caulk it again. 'Welcome To My Personal Web Site'
(http://www.pamperedchef.biz/cookingmyway)

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com