Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old June 19th 07, 12:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 2
Default How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

Hi,
I have the Kohler "Purist® Rite-Temp® pressure-balancing bath and
shower faucet trim with push-button diverter and cross handle". I need
help removing the handle and faceplate. There is no center screw in
the handle, but set screw on the handle stem which I assume holds the
handle in place. My set screw is missing but I still cannot remove the
handle. Can anyone help?
Sue


  #3   Report Post  
Old June 19th 07, 01:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 2
Default How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

On Jun 18, 5:01 pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:54:22 -0000, wrote:
Hi,
I have the Kohler "Purist® Rite-Temp® pressure-balancing bath and
shower faucet trim with push-button diverter and cross handle". I need
help removing the handle and faceplate. There is no center screw in
the handle, but set screw on the handle stem which I assume holds the
handle in place. My set screw is missing but I still cannot remove the
handle. Can anyone help?
Sue


Corrosion of the stem can make it difficult to remove the handle. Hard
water?

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..



Yes, hard water. The faucet has only been in for 6 months though. Can
I try to bang it off?

Sue

  #5   Report Post  
Old June 19th 07, 01:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 3
Default How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

Sue



  #6   Report Post  
Old June 19th 07, 07:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Abe Abe is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 30
Default How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

Not at all. leave the water on (chuckle, chuckle)
  #7   Report Post  
Old June 19th 07, 11:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,843
Default How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:53:10 -0000, taos_sue
wrote:

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)


If you are only taking the handle off, I don't think so.

BTW, any chance the set screw is there but it's covered by soap and
soap scum etc.?

Sue


  #8   Report Post  
Old June 19th 07, 05:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 3
Default How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

On Jun 19, 3:08 am, mm wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:53:10 -0000, taos_sue
wrote:

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)


If you are only taking the handle off, I don't think so.

BTW, any chance the set screw is there but it's covered by soap and
soap scum etc.?



Sue- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


I am only taking off the handle and the back plate in order to re-
tile. There is no set screw, but I do see where it should go. I should
mention that this faucet has been in a few months but has rarely been
turned on (guest bath). There is no soap scum of hard water residue.
Am I right that the handle should just pull off?

  #9   Report Post  
Old June 19th 07, 05:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,303
Default How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

wrote:
On Jun 18, 5:01 pm, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:54:22 -0000, wrote:

Hi,
I have the Kohler "Purist® Rite-Temp® pressure-balancing bath and
shower faucet trim with push-button diverter and cross handle". I need
help removing the handle and faceplate. There is no center screw in
the handle, but set screw on the handle stem which I assume holds the
handle in place. My set screw is missing but I still cannot remove the
handle. Can anyone help?
Sue


Corrosion of the stem can make it difficult to remove the handle. Hard
water?

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..




Yes, hard water. The faucet has only been in for 6 months though. Can
I try to bang it off?

Sue


Please don't be insulted, but I have to ask if you are certain what the
term "set screw" denotes.

A set screw does not have a head larger than the threaded hole it's
screwed into, and most often in faucet handles it has an "Allen head"
recess in it's accessable end.

So, just in case you see some threads in the "empty" screw hole and
assume there's no thing in there, don't be positive about that until you
try to engage a possible set screw with an appropriate sized Allen wrench.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.

  #10   Report Post  
Old June 19th 07, 06:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 3
Default How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle



YES! Thank you. The set screw was tiny - and way inside. You saved me
a plumber visit.

Sue






Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eljer shower faucet handle removal Kro Home Repair 3 January 23rd 09 03:30 AM
standard single handle shower faucet Phil Home Repair 2 April 27th 06 09:34 PM
fixing delta ball-type faucet - can't remove handle [email protected] Home Repair 4 April 9th 06 02:42 PM
Gerber shower faucet handle won't pull off jeff Home Repair 5 December 31st 04 01:34 PM
Help with Kohler shower faucet Nehmo Sergheyev Home Repair 2 August 4th 03 05:11 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017