Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

Hi,
I have the Kohler "Purist® Rite-Temp® pressure-balancing bath and
shower faucet trim with push-button diverter and cross handle". I need
help removing the handle and faceplate. There is no center screw in
the handle, but set screw on the handle stem which I assume holds the
handle in place. My set screw is missing but I still cannot remove the
handle. Can anyone help?
Sue

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 5:01 pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:54:22 -0000, wrote:
Hi,
I have the Kohler "Purist® Rite-Temp® pressure-balancing bath and
shower faucet trim with push-button diverter and cross handle". I need
help removing the handle and faceplate. There is no center screw in
the handle, but set screw on the handle stem which I assume holds the
handle in place. My set screw is missing but I still cannot remove the
handle. Can anyone help?
Sue

Corrosion of the stem can make it difficult to remove the handle. Hard
water?

--
Oren

Yes, hard water. The faucet has only been in for 6 months though. Can
I try to bang it off?

Sue

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

Sue

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe Abe is offline

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

Not at all. leave the water on (chuckle, chuckle)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:53:10 -0000, taos_sue
wrote:

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

If you are only taking the handle off, I don't think so.

BTW, any chance the set screw is there but it's covered by soap and
soap scum etc.?

Sue

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

If you are only taking the handle off, I don't think so.

BTW, any chance the set screw is there but it's covered by soap and
soap scum etc.?

Sue- Hide quoted text -

I am only taking off the handle and the back plate in order to re-
tile. There is no set screw, but I do see where it should go. I should
mention that this faucet has been in a few months but has rarely been
turned on (guest bath). There is no soap scum of hard water residue.
Am I right that the handle should just pull off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

YES! Thank you. The set screw was tiny - and way inside. You saved me
a plumber visit.

Sue

Posted to alt.home.repair

taos_sue wrote:

YES! Thank you. The set screw was tiny - and way inside. You saved me
a plumber visit.

Sue

As a fan of "Will and Grace" reruns, all I can say is:

http://www.durfee.net/will/media/waves/ToldYaSo.wav

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

If you are only taking the handle off, I don't think so.

BTW, any chance the set screw is there but it's covered by soap and
soap scum etc.?

I am only taking off the handle and the back plate in order to re-
tile. There is no set screw, but I do see where it should go. I should
mention that this faucet has been in a few months but has rarely been
turned on (guest bath). There is no soap scum of hard water residue.
Am I right that the handle should just pull off?

Well, I don't know- I have no experience with one-handeld faucets
--but another thing you can do is go look at a Kohler facuet at a
hardware store adn see how it is made, or better yet, read the
instructinos that come with it. Probably all models are simlar, or
find close to your model.