Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central Vac silencer

On Wed 19 Aug 2009 07:06:51a, Robert Green told us...

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
stuff snipped
Bobby, the truly simplest approach is to relocate the unit outside the
living space. My parents had central vacuums in their homes since the
first ones were introduced. There were three scenarios of their
installations. (1) Garage, (2) Basement, (3) Spare Closet, where the
interior walls of the closet were heavily insulated. Another
possibility would be the attic. At least half of those years I was
living at home. I could never tell when the unit was running unless I
entered either the garage, basement, or opened the closet.

I've lived with CV's for a long time, too. I live pretty close to
neighbors on each side and relocating outside my living space puts me
closer to theirs. In the interest of peaceful coexistence, I don't want
to foist the noise onto my neighbors, but to mitigate it as well as I
can. That means enclosure, as far as I can tell.

It shouldn't be that difficult to run an inlet pipe to the new
location, be it through closets, hollow walls, etc. The other upside
to doing this is not tampering with the environment that the vacuum
naturally requires.
I would never consider enclosing it in a box, despite the efforts to
ventilate it with fans.

Well, advice on "enclose or not to enclose" has been running all over
the map. Unfortunately I think it's the only option left considering
all of the issues. I'm hoping that several added safety interlocks will
overcome what I agree is the possibility that the unit might overheat.
I'll be monitoring the temperature in the box very closely. I also have
a HomeVision controller that I can set to make sure that the unit does
not ever run more than a set amount of minutes at a time and that the
internal temperature of the box never rises above a certain amount. A
good friend says he doubts the unit will even get noticeably warmer
since the unit is always sucking cool room air into the unit as part of
the vacuuming process and the Hayden CV design has that air flowing
around the motor assembly.

Thanks for your input, Wayne.

--
Bobby G.

You're welcome, Bobby. Good luck!

--
Wayne Boatwright
My favorite animal is steak. Fran Lebowitz