Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default fire rated drywall req's?

Is fire rated drywall required on a basement ceiling? I'm checking local
codes as well, but any input is appreciated.

tia,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 8:08*am, "Joe" wrote:
Is fire rated drywall required on a basement ceiling? *I'm checking local
codes as well, but any input is appreciated.

tia,

The same code that applies to other ceilings should apply. Some
require 5/8 for all ceilings. Some only require 5/8 for enclosing
furnace rooms. Best to call the inspector. All drywall has a good
fire rating, its just varies based on thickness to determine the
amount of time it will hold back a fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

windcrest wrote:
On Aug 5, 8:08 am, "Joe" wrote:
Is fire rated drywall required on a basement ceiling? I'm checking local
codes as well, but any input is appreciated.

tia,

The same code that applies to other ceilings should apply. Some
require 5/8 for all ceilings. Some only require 5/8 for enclosing
furnace rooms. Best to call the inspector. All drywall has a good
fire rating, its just varies based on thickness to determine the
amount of time it will hold back a fire.

"All" drywall is _NOT_ the same as Type-X (firewall rated) drywall. It
has a fire-resistant/retardant paper cover and includes glass fibre
and/or other materials to help retain mechanical integrity longer in
case of fire than will standard drywall. Look up the spec's on any of
the gypsum products manufacturers' sites.

I've never seen any place that requires it in all living areas other
than commercial/rental/condo's/etc.; not in residential other than
garage/utility areas with furnace or similar.

Can't hurt; highly unlikely to be required except for specific areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 8:08*am, "Joe" wrote:
Is fire rated drywall required on a basement ceiling? *I'm checking local
codes as well, but any input is appreciated.

tia,

In Chiacago Fire code X 5/8" is mandatory in apt building basement
ceilings, HD had it and its stamped. So is Fire caulk about 11$ a
tube. The city made me put in about 120 sheets. Call your code office.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 9:08*am, "Joe" wrote:
Is fire rated drywall required on a basement ceiling? *I'm checking local
codes as well, but any input is appreciated.

tia,

Generally, fire-rated materials are required to separate fire zones.
That can mean between a common hallway and a dwelling unit. It could
be between a mechanical room and a dwelling unit. I don't know if
I've even seen it required within a fire zone (dwelling unit) but I
don't tend to work in large cities (which could have significantly
different rules).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
Is fire rated drywall required on a basement ceiling? I'm checking local
codes as well, but any input is appreciated.

tia,

In a single family residential home the only places that are required to
have a "firewall" are Boiler rooms walls and ceiling , the wall between the
garage and house , if attached , on the garage side ALL THE WAY TO THE ROOF
and the ceiling in a garage if there is living space over it...In commercial
applications it is pretty much required everywhere with double layer 5/8 on
party walls , hallways , stairwells , elevator shafts and boiler rooms...But
as always check with your Code Enforcement Officer to be doubly sure....Hope
that helps....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
Is fire rated drywall required on a basement ceiling? I'm checking local
codes as well, but any input is appreciated.

tia,

good advice here, checked the codes too.

thanks everyone for the input.