Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default fire rated drywall req's?

windcrest wrote:
On Aug 5, 8:08 am, "Joe" wrote:
Is fire rated drywall required on a basement ceiling? I'm checking local
codes as well, but any input is appreciated.

tia,

The same code that applies to other ceilings should apply. Some
require 5/8 for all ceilings. Some only require 5/8 for enclosing
furnace rooms. Best to call the inspector. All drywall has a good
fire rating, its just varies based on thickness to determine the
amount of time it will hold back a fire.

"All" drywall is _NOT_ the same as Type-X (firewall rated) drywall. It
has a fire-resistant/retardant paper cover and includes glass fibre
and/or other materials to help retain mechanical integrity longer in
case of fire than will standard drywall. Look up the spec's on any of
the gypsum products manufacturers' sites.

I've never seen any place that requires it in all living areas other
than commercial/rental/condo's/etc.; not in residential other than
garage/utility areas with furnace or similar.

Can't hurt; highly unlikely to be required except for specific areas.