Posted to alt.home.repair

Default emergency drawstrings

I was recently at a hotel in Italy that had what I'd have to describe
as an emergency drawstring - in pulling the string you pull a switch
beside which it says "Emergency". I assume the purpose is to provide
people who get stuck, be it because they fell and broke a hip, or
whatever, however, the drawstring didn't seem to be long enough to
really be pulled from the basin.

This makes me wonder... is there another purpose to the draw
strings? Are they required in some EU countries? I don't recall
seeing them in France...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:25:44 -0700 (PDT), yawnmoth
wrote:

I was recently at a hotel in Italy that had what I'd have to describe
as an emergency drawstring - in pulling the string you pull a switch
beside which it says "Emergency". I assume the purpose is to provide
people who get stuck, be it because they fell and broke a hip, or
whatever, however, the drawstring didn't seem to be long enough to
really be pulled from the basin.

This makes me wonder... is there another purpose to the draw
strings? Are they required in some EU countries? I don't recall
seeing them in France...

Fire alarm? Sort of like those red things on the walls of
many buildings in the US that have the words (incase of fire PULL)
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

yawnmoth wrote:
This makes me wonder... is there another purpose to the draw
strings? Are they required in some EU countries? I don't recall
seeing them in France...

Would seem to have made a lot more sense to ask the
concierge/maid/etc.,... while at the hotel...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 12:25*am, yawnmoth wrote:
I was recently at a hotel in Italy that had what I'd have to describe
as an emergency drawstring - in pulling the string you pull a switch
beside which it says "Emergency". *I assume the purpose is to provide
people who get stuck, be it because they fell and broke a hip, or
whatever, however, the drawstring didn't seem to be long enough to
really be pulled from the basin.

This makes me wonder... *is there another purpose to the draw
strings? *Are they required in some EU countries? *I don't recall
seeing them in France...

They are common in the US as well. Check out
https://hdsupplysolutions.com/webapp...5-1&req=search
or go to maintencewarehouse and search for HD Supply Part #: 336995

In a senior citizen apartment complex (or a hospital), the switch
usually activates a light over the door, often unlocks the door, and
sometimes in tied into a control panel somewhere.

The string should just barely touch the floor so it can be pulled but
so it doesn't get grimy IIRC
Posted to alt.home.repair

yawnmoth wrote:
I was recently at a hotel in Italy that had what I'd have to describe
as an emergency drawstring - in pulling the string you pull a switch
beside which it says "Emergency". I assume the purpose is to provide
people who get stuck, be it because they fell and broke a hip, or
whatever, however, the drawstring didn't seem to be long enough to
really be pulled from the basin.

This makes me wonder... is there another purpose to the draw
strings? Are they required in some EU countries? I don't recall
seeing them in France...

In case of an earthquake, pull it and the building stops
moving. It's the emergency brake.

TDD

This is an EMERGENCY CJT Home Repair 0 October 14th 08 02:20 AM
Window shade drawstrings. Patrick D. Rockwell Home Ownership 2 August 11th 05 09:58 PM
Window shade drawstrings. Patrick D. Rockwell Home Repair 2 August 11th 05 09:58 PM
CH/HW emergency - Help !! Dave Liquorice UK diy 8 July 30th 03 08:59 AM