Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shower stall strainer leaking

My shower stall was leaking. I purchased a new strainer, cut a
hole in the ceiling, removed the old strainer and installed the
new one. Well, it still leaks.

After some detective works, I found that it is leaking between the
strainer and the gasket. The cross section of the system looks
like the following:

strainer - rubber sleeve gasket - 2" drain pipe

At first, I was able to see faint light coming through from
between the strainer and the gasket. No wonder it leaked. After
twisting the gasket, I stopped seeing the light but it sill leaks.

What is the trick of adjusting the gasket so it won't leak? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Jul 22, 1:24 pm, John Smith wrote:
My shower stall was leaking. I purchased a new strainer, cut a
hole in the ceiling, removed the old strainer and installed the
new one. Well, it still leaks.

After some detective works, I found that it is leaking between the
strainer and the gasket. The cross section of the system looks
like the following:

strainer - rubber sleeve gasket - 2" drain pipe

At first, I was able to see faint light coming through from
between the strainer and the gasket. No wonder it leaked. After
twisting the gasket, I stopped seeing the light but it sill leaks.

What is the trick of adjusting the gasket so it won't leak? Thanks.

Gasket new?

Joe

Yes. The gasket came with the strainer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

John Smith wrote:
My shower stall was leaking. I purchased a new strainer, cut a
hole in the ceiling, removed the old strainer and installed the
new one. Well, it still leaks.

After some detective works, I found that it is leaking between the
strainer and the gasket. The cross section of the system looks
like the following:

strainer - rubber sleeve gasket - 2" drain pipe

At first, I was able to see faint light coming through from
between the strainer and the gasket. No wonder it leaked. After
twisting the gasket, I stopped seeing the light but it sill leaks.

What is the trick of adjusting the gasket so it won't leak? Thanks.

Don't know how you replaced the strainer from below, they are installed from
above. It sounds like you have a leak in the shower base, or
under-tile-liner where the drain is installed. Depending on what you have
and how it is built, it could be simple or impossible without rebuilding the
shower floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 1:36*am, Joe wrote:
On Jul 22, 1:24*pm, John Smith wrote:

My shower stall was leaking. I purchased a new strainer, cut a
hole in the ceiling, removed the old strainer and installed the
new one. Well, it still leaks.

After some detective works, I found that it is leaking between the
strainer and the gasket. The cross section of the system looks
like the following:

strainer - rubber sleeve gasket - 2" drain pipe

At first, I was able to see faint light coming through from
between the strainer and the gasket. No wonder it leaked. After
twisting the gasket, I stopped seeing the light but it sill leaks.

What is the trick of adjusting the gasket so it won't leak? Thanks.

Gasket new?

Joe

A nice bead of silicone rtv .