Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall gap?

All my life I have managed to avoid doing anything with drywall. Now I need
to hang a dozen or so sheets on some walls.

I seem to recall reading or hearing that a small gap should be left between
sheet edges. True? If so, how much of a gap (1/8" sticks in my mind)?

Thanks.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 7:44*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
All my life I have managed to avoid doing anything with drywall. *Now I need
to hang a dozen or so sheets on some walls.

I seem to recall reading or hearing that a small gap should be left between
sheet edges. *True? *If so, how much of a gap (1/8" sticks in my mind)?

Thanks.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I've seen dry wall gaps from zero to 1/4". I dont think there is a
target / desired gap.
But I loaned my USG SheetRock manual to a friend.

The 1/8" number you;re remembering might be the APA sheathing material
spacing for expansion of the sheets to avoid sheet buckling.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 20, 9:44*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
All my life I have managed to avoid doing anything with drywall. *Now I need
to hang a dozen or so sheets on some walls.

I seem to recall reading or hearing that a small gap should be left between
sheet edges. *True? *If so, how much of a gap (1/8" sticks in my mind)?

Thanks.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Download the "Gypsum Construction Handbook" by USG. Over 300 pages of
pure truthiness in PDF form. As far as your concern over gaps, IIRC
there needs to be enough so that the drywall mud contacts both edges
and cements the sheets together. That makes 1/8" +/- seem a good
choice. Much more than that might be compromised by the shrinkage of
the mud.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Jul 20, 9:44 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

The PDF should be useful, thanks for it and info,

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
Joe wrote:
Download the "Gypsum Construction Handbook" by USG. Over 300 pages of
pure truthiness in PDF form. As far as your concern over gaps, IIRC
there needs to be enough so that the drywall mud contacts both edges
and cements the sheets together. That makes 1/8" +/- seem a good
choice. Much more than that might be compromised by the shrinkage of
the mud.

Joe

The PDF should be useful, thanks for it and info,

Al ouch 37 MB of it

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I seem to recall reading or hearing that a small gap should be left
between
sheet edges. True? If so, how much of a gap (1/8" sticks in my mind)?

I ve heard that for sheetgoods like plywood and OSB sheathing but not for
drywall. The "pros" recently did our new(er) home and left no gap.
I think this has to do with the fact that the drywall, once hung, is
normally in a temperature controlled space (air conditioned space as they
refer to it around here) and there isnt a tendency for it to try to shrink
or expand. That may vary if you're installing it in freezing temps or if
its in a 4 season structure such as a cabin that isnt heated or "cooled".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:44:46 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

All my life I have managed to avoid doing anything with drywall. Now I need
to hang a dozen or so sheets on some walls.

I seem to recall reading or hearing that a small gap should be left between
sheet edges. True? If so, how much of a gap (1/8" sticks in my mind)?

Thanks.

No gap, not true, not needed. There are different kinds of drywall
seams. The easiest is when both edges have thinner edges (about 1/8"
thinner) that get taped and filled with drywall compound. The
self-adhesive mesh tape is great for seams, I use the paper tape for
inside corners, metal bead for outside corners. I leave a 1/2" gap
from the bottom of the drywall to the floor, where the basemold covers
it up. Good luck with your project.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dadiOH wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Joe wrote:
Download the "Gypsum Construction Handbook" by USG. Over 300 pages of
pure truthiness in PDF form. As far as your concern over gaps, IIRC
there needs to be enough so that the drywall mud contacts both edges
and cements the sheets together. That makes 1/8" +/- seem a good
choice. Much more than that might be compromised by the shrinkage of
the mud.

Actually, the installation guidelines include no gap; up to 1/4" is
acceptable however.

The PDF should be useful, thanks for it and info,

Al ouch 37 MB of it

Shorter version (only 24 pp)...

Excerpt...

4.6.6 Gypsum panel products shall be abutted so as to be in
contact with one another but not forced together.
4.6.7 When gaps occur at gypsum panel product joints, they
shall be not greater than 1/4 in. (6 mm) and shall be prefilled
with joint compound as specified in Sections 4.6.7.1 and
4.6.7.2.
4.6.7.1 Gaps not greater than 1/8 in. (3 mm) shall be prefilled
with either ready-mix or setting-type joint compound.
4.6.7.2 Gaps greater than 1/8 in. (3 mm) shall be prefilled
with setting-type joint compound.

http://www.gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-07.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
dadiOH wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

Ditto... hang'em tight...I prefer to use Durabond setting type joint
compound for taping joints and corners so a few gaps isn't a big
deal..Especially in older homes that aren't square...Hard to get them all
tight...Sheets on the ceiling get a screw in the edge and 4 in the field
spaced equally apart..On the butt they should be about 6 inches apart..on
the walls it is the same except only 3 in the field spaced equally
apart...Use a 2500 rpm drywall screwgun for best results though a cordless
drill/driver with the drywall attachment works BUT it is ALOT slower..The
screws should just dimple the paper to allow for filling with mud..TRY to
put them in straight , not to deep and not sticking out...I use a 4000 but
you need to learn to walk before you can run...LOL..Any other questions just
ask...Good luck...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dado" wrote in message
All my life I have managed to avoid doing anything with drywall. Now I
need to hang a dozen or so sheets on some walls.

I seem to recall reading or hearing that a small gap should be left
between sheet edges. True? If so, how much of a gap (1/8" sticks in my
mind)?

Thanks.

--

dado

radio's dandies v3.06...
...a help file of info about Maps, recording from

I have remodeled several homes we have had. Take Phishermans remarks. He
is right on. That's the way to do it. Warren

how much drywall mud? [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 15th 06 06:16 PM
Drywall Griffo Home Repair 2 March 8th 06 10:12 AM
Drywall Griffo UK diy 1 March 8th 06 06:28 AM
Thanks for the drywall tip Backlash Home Repair 0 May 7th 05 01:40 PM
Drywall myself or not?? [email protected] Home Repair 14 December 28th 04 12:23 AM