Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Drywall gap?

Joe wrote:
On Jul 20, 9:44 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
All my life I have managed to avoid doing anything with drywall. Now
I need to hang a dozen or so sheets on some walls.

I seem to recall reading or hearing that a small gap should be left
between sheet edges. True? If so, how much of a gap (1/8" sticks in
my mind)?

Thanks.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Download the "Gypsum Construction Handbook" by USG. Over 300 pages of
pure truthiness in PDF form. As far as your concern over gaps, IIRC
there needs to be enough so that the drywall mud contacts both edges
and cements the sheets together. That makes 1/8" +/- seem a good
choice. Much more than that might be compromised by the shrinkage of
the mud.

Joe

The PDF should be useful, thanks for it and info,

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...