Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RADIANT BARRIERS... Again

I tried to resurrect this one from an earlier post but I guess posts
don't "bump."

It's damned hot here in Central Texas and I bought radiant barrier
sheeting to install in the attic. Problem is, I can't get to most of
the places where it would need to go. Why not install it ON TOP OF
THE SHINGLES? It would be kind of temporary but, to get us through
the summer, seems like it would be a good idea. I was thinking of
Styrofoam sheets that I could staple the sheeting to and then install
these on the roof with some space between them and the shingles. I
don't mind crawling around on the roof but I can't get myself in all
the attic spaces.

Also, I Googled radiant barrier paint and sure enough there is such a
thing. I was thinking of repainting the outside of my house.

In reality, all this would go on the back. The front has nice big
shade trees and it's very protected.

Was toying with the idea of installing a sprinkler system on the roof
to cool it down during the day...?

Brad
Posted to alt.home.repair

BradMM wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Shingle color, roof vet matters. Do you have good ridge vent?
Google earth engineering for related topics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, shingle color is on the lighter side and don't have ridge vents.
Wouldn't it still help a lot to have radiant barriers on top of
shingles if I can't put them under shingles until the shingles need
replacing and can't get into the crawl spaces in the attic?

Thanks and thanks for the Google suggestion!

Hi,
Shingle color, roof vet matters. Do you have good ridge vent?
Google earth engineering for related topics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BradMM wrote:
Yep, shingle color is on the lighter side and don't have ridge vents.
Wouldn't it still help a lot to have radiant barriers on top of
shingles if I can't put them under shingles until the shingles need
replacing and can't get into the crawl spaces in the attic?

Thanks and thanks for the Google suggestion!

Assuming proper ventilation in the attic, you CAN attach the radiant barrier
to the joists.

http://www.atticfoil.com/flat-top-instruction.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

BradMM wrote:
[...]

If you are going to that much trouble, just put down a metal roof over
furring strips on top of the shingles. The air space is your insulation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RB wrote:

snipped
and all you may want to know
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publicati...N-15/index.htm
and
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/radiant/rb_01.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 5:29*pm, RB wrote:
BradMM wrote:
I tried to resurrect this one from an earlier post but I guess posts
don't "bump."

It's damned hot here in Central Texas and I bought radiant barrier
sheeting to install in the attic. *Problem is, I can't get to most of
the places where it would need to go. *Why not install it ON TOP OF
THE SHINGLES? *It would be kind of temporary but, to get us through
the summer, seems like it would be a good idea.

I can think of a lot of reasons why you would not want to do this.

Radiant barriers are not designed to be directly exposed to the
elements.

Difficult/impossible to attach and cover the roof and keep it from
blowing off, without it either being permanent, damaging the shingles,
etc.

What you save in cooling costs won't be worth the trouble.

Any other proven method of reducting the cooling load from the attic,
eg ridge venting, power fans, insulation are going to be a hell of a
lot easier. If it has limited access, there is blown in insulation
which might work.

Your house will look like hell....

*I was thinking of
Styrofoam sheets that I could staple the sheeting to and then install
these on the roof with some space between them and the shingles. *I
don't mind crawling around on the roof but I can't get myself in all
the attic spaces.

That should last until the first good wind storm. And how are you
going to hold all that on to the roof without penetrating the roof
with fasteners?

Also, I Googled radiant barrier paint and sure enough there is such a
thing. *I was thinking of repainting the outside of my house.

In reality, all this would go on the back. *The front has nice big
shade trees and it's very protected.

So, for all the trouble, this only impacts half the roof at best,
further limiting any good that comes of it.

Was toying with the idea of installing a sprinkler system on the roof
to cool it down during the day...?

Brad

If you are going to that much trouble, just put down a metal roof over
furring strips *on top of the shingles. The air space is your insulation.- Hide quoted text -

Let's talk radiant Barriers Bob-tx Home Repair 8 June 24th 09 02:23 AM
Vapour barriers? Vernon[_3_] UK diy 5 January 11th 09 10:39 AM
Motorway style crash barriers - where to buy? deano UK diy 23 September 19th 06 09:22 AM
Question about Vapor Barriers [email protected] Home Repair 9 December 13th 04 08:12 PM
Vapor barriers and drafty wall outlets. kevins_news Home Repair 2 December 16th 03 01:07 AM